Ignition won't release key

In my 1990 Honda Accord EX R holds on to the key after turning the engine off. Sometimes it releases it after a minute. Sometimes it retains it until
the next day. Sometimes not. My mechanic took the ignition apart, lubricated parts, but it made no difference. It's quite annoying.
[to reply privately, remove the"x"]

Does this happen with just one key or both keys?
You may want to check http://www.alldata.com website to see if there has been any recalls related to this issue. I know that there was a recall related to the 1999 Honda Accord related to TSB number 02-031 Recall--Ignition switch replacement. Perhaps the same sort of repair will solve your problem..
--
NEWSGROUP SUBSCRIBERS MOTTO
Jason wrote:

Not related. That recall had to do with cars shutting off without warning.
Michael Abraham wrote:

The key itself may be worn. Try your valet key and/or a spare master key if you have one to see if it does the same thing with those keys.
The problem is consistent for both keys.
Michael Abraham

Sounds like an electronic problem. To troubleshoot disconnect the battery and the key should come out.
The car probably uses an interlock device. The solution is to clean your console switch and/or the solenoid that holds the key. You can permanently disable the key interlock by disconnecting the two-pin connector on the ignition assembly, the one that holds the key in.
A few years ago I bought a 91 Accord that did the same thing I finally went and had a new key cut at a Honda dealership and it worked like magic. Not sure if this will work in your case but it might be worth a try.

thread.
Mike
My 1990 Honda Accord EX-R holds on to the key after turning the engine off. Sometimes it releases it after a minute. Sometimes it retains it until the next day. Sometimes not. My mechanic took the ignition apart, lubricated parts, but it made no difference. It's quite annoying.
IN ADDITION TO THIS . . . the transmission locks. By accessing the trans. lock beside the shifter, with my spare key I can unlock it, but it's becoming increasingly annoying.

Have at look alt.autos.acura "1991 Integra Can't remove key" lots good info on this subject.
Jay

I had Honda cut a new key. This didn't solve the problem.
When it holds on to the key the transmission may lock and the engine may not start. If I wait a few minutes or overnight the key will come out easily.

If the selector is in park and won't start and key won't come out then that's the selector problem. Check out how to adjust the switch here.
http://square.cjb.cc/c/?ConsoleSwitch