Ignition won't release key

In my 1990 Honda Accord EX R holds on to the key after turning the engine off. Sometimes it releases it after a minute. Sometimes it retains it until the next day. Sometimes not. My mechanic took the ignition apart, lubricated parts, but it made no difference. It's quite annoying.

[to reply privately, remove the"x"]
Reply to
Michael Abraham

Does this happen with just one key or both keys?

You may want to check

website to see if there has been any recalls related to this issue. I know that there was a recall related to the 1999 Honda Accord related to TSB number 02-031 Recall--Ignition switch replacement. Perhaps the same sort of repair will solve your problem..

Reply to
Jason

The key itself may be worn. Try your valet key and/or a spare master key if you have one to see if it does the same thing with those keys.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Not related. That recall had to do with cars shutting off without warning.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

The problem is consistent for both keys.

Michael Abraham

Reply to
Michael Abraham

A few years ago I bought a 91 Accord that did the same thing I finally went and had a new key cut at a Honda dealership and it worked like magic. Not sure if this will work in your case but it might be worth a try.

Reply to
CCTGENE

Sounds like an electronic problem. To troubleshoot disconnect the battery and the key should come out.

The car probably uses an interlock device. The solution is to clean your console switch and/or the solenoid that holds the key. You can permanently disable the key interlock by disconnecting the two-pin connector on the ignition assembly, the one that holds the key in.

Reply to
Burt S.

Check out "Curly Q. Links" post in the "Cold weather -Honda 1990 question" thread.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

My 1990 Honda Accord EX-R holds on to the key after turning the engine off. Sometimes it releases it after a minute. Sometimes it retains it until the next day. Sometimes not. My mechanic took the ignition apart, lubricated parts, but it made no difference. It's quite annoying.

IN ADDITION TO THIS . . . the transmission locks. By accessing the trans. lock beside the shifter, with my spare key I can unlock it, but it's becoming increasingly annoying.

Reply to
Michael Abraham

Have at look alt.autos.acura "1991 Integra Can't remove key" lots good info on this subject.

Jay

Reply to
J Poy

I had Honda cut a new key. This didn't solve the problem.

When it holds on to the key the transmission may lock and the engine may not start. If I wait a few minutes or overnight the key will come out easily.

Reply to
Michael Abraham

If the selector is in park and won't start and key won't come out then that's the selector problem. Check out how to adjust the switch here.

Burt S.