Improving the ride in a 2010 Civic coupe

I have a 2010 Civic coupe (bought it last July). The ride is firmer than I would like, certainly firmer than the 1995 Civic that I used to own.
Would replacing the struts with new struts from some other manufacturer
improve the ride at all? Or how about just reducing tire inflation pressure?
-- Steven L.
On 3/5/11 3:38 PM, Steven L. wrote:

What is the current tire pressure? If it's above what the owner's manual specifies, you could lower it to that--- but no less. Too low will create heat build up which increases blow out risk, reduces tire life, and impairs handling.
Also, you might try a softer riding tire. Check the big online tire dealer or mfr websites for info on what yours is and what options are available.
On 3/5/11 6:46 PM, Red Butler wrote:

...make that what the door sticker specifies...

Does his car have 40 or 50 series tires? they can give a rougher ride. he might try moving from a low profile tire to a higher profile tire(requiring a smaller rim size),although I doubt that will do what he wants.
Changing tires/wheels or struts and rear shocks is expensive,and a crapshoot.(the chances of failure are greater than the chances of success)
Is the car "stock" or has it been lowered/modified? Lowered cars have a stiffer ride,less suspension travel. Why did he buy the car in the first place if he doesn't like the ride?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

The auto dealer I bought the car from was in a locale where the roads were better.
So when I took the car for a test drive, it seemed to ride O.K.
But when I drove it back to my home town, where the roads are peppered with potholes everywhere, the ride seems worse than I remember it being during the test drive.
The suggestion about switching to a different brand of tire is a good one. I hadn't thought of that. I had assumed that all tires of the right size for my car would ride the same.
-- Steven L.

If it's pothole-type disruptions you're trying to minimize, you may find tire-changing won't do it. Ride is more a function of shocks and springs than tires.
If you really can't stand the ride, you're better off to trade the car in on an Accord.
--
Tegger

That's because the shocks in the '95 were WORN.
Maybe you're just older than you used to be.
--
Tegger