Indy Rice League??? ;)

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 07:20:07 -0500, Enrico Fermi wrote:

Unfortunately, most of my jobs have been at least 20 miles away, and a long time I was driving over 50 one way! Wife didn't want to move, see?
But then I buy cars I like, and like to drive, so it's a 50/50 deal.
But with the price of gas now...
But, what's the deal with Gasoline? I would buy ethanol if it were available. And I appreciate the info on the conversion! We're told by the media it takes more energy to make ethanol, which returns less energy back! So, this is bunk, eh?
And, we started buying Toyotas before the Energy Crisis; my Mom wante a small car similar to her Chevy II Nova (THERE was a car, GM should have never stopped making them!) That was it for us; we have pretty much been a Toyota family ever since!
But I digress...and i also agree with your Grocery Getter comment; some people NEED a big truck, while others could get by with a Tacoma; it's the Image thing. And I hope the popularity of the SUV comes to and end in short order...these things SUCK! Buy a Station Wagon! (Subaru makes a bunch of AWD models if you don't like the Matrix! ;)
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 07:11:58 -0400, Brent Secombe wrote:

Here's an even better article.
Seems I was a little wrong here. Methanol isn't grain alchohol, it is WOOD grain alchohol.
And just think: if they used rice to make ethamol (Sake??) It really WOULD be a "Ricing" league...
http://www.methanol.org/altfuel/press/pr970521.html

Call me old fashioned, but I much prefer the close racing of the new A1 series. 3rd ever meting (races 5 and 6) are this weekend, i think - www.a1gp.com
The american and Japaneese teams haven't done so well, britain and canada did well as did New Zeland. Oh and its a british made engine.
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:34:30 -0400, flobert wrote:

Actually, so was the Chevy! It was assembled and 'tweaked' in England.
On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:34:30 -0400, flobert wrote:

Hmmmm....sort of a WorldWide IRL. Looks like the spirit of the IRL; the cars are all basically the same and have similar engines (if not the SAME engine!)
So what happens is, it doesn't come down to how much MONEY you throw at it, but the skill of the driver. i like that!
When Penske was kicking butt in the CART series, as in F1, it was how much MONEY you had that determined who own the race. When IRL came along I was initially against it, but it leveled tha playing field and brought the competition back to the cockpit rather than the garage itself.
This is the first I have heard of A1. Thanks!

Yes, they're all the same engine. The cars are all made by raynard to the prince's spec, and he bought all 50 for the teams (2 per team, 25 country-teams). Cars designed to make a big hole in the air behind, to help with overtaking, plus a push-to-pass boost button. All engines made by a company called Zytec, and lots of scrutineers around to make sure everyones the same. Everyones even running the same cooper tyres, although theere are 2 different compounds available

Driver AND pitcrew. There's a manditory pit stop to change all 4 tyres in the 'feature race'

no probs. For those that don't know, the race format goes like this... Theres a free practice on the friday saturday a little practice, and then 4 qualifying sessiosn. Each one is 15 minutes long, and teams are allowed an out lap, a flying lap, and a in lap in each. something like 5-10mins between each sessions. They then take the drivers best TWO times, and add them together, and base the grid for the sprint off that There is only one car for each team, so no blocking, team orders etc.
Sprint race is about 18 laps, or half an hour long. Takes place about 1:30pm on the sunday. No pit stops etc. 10 for first, 9 for second and so on, down to 1 for 10th. Finishing order is then the grid for the longer feature race that takes place around 3pm. its a hour/36ish lap race, with a manditory tyre change pitstop. Standing start, F1 style. Pits are one person per wheel, and no-one to leave the garage, except the flagman, until the cars stopped. , and the cars must make a pass over the start-finish line at racing speed with both sets of tyres. Same points layout for the finish of the feature race, and therse an aditional point to whoever gets the fastest lap over the two races. Thats is basiaclly. The engines are 520hp standard, 550hp when under the 'power boost' (get 4 in the sprint, and 8 in the feature - they're limited to 30second length, and only work when you've got your throttle wide open, press the button when you're braking, and you've wasted one.
Very good, close racing, and a wide range of experiance too, from former F1 driver jos Verstappen for Holland, down (i don't know if the russian and chineese drivers ever really did single-seater racing before)
On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 15:30:20 -0400, flobert wrote:

"THE Prince"? Which Prince? You DON'T mean "The Artist" I am assuming! ;)
Interesting. So THAT'S where Verstappen went!
Hopefully, someone will pick this up on this side of the Pond!

No, some shiek from Dubai.

There are a few torrents of the first 2 meetings outt here, but from http://www.a1teamusa.com/ its shown on "setlanta sports channel" on direcTV, and you can register on the day of the race to watch a webcast at a1gp.com, starrts 8am EST
I find it interesting that NASCAR has it's own little clique of Dodge, Chevy and Ford-and it gets all the media attention. I am assuming all the rules and regs for their cars are to mainly keep out Toyota and Honda from breaking into their little club. When I grew up, the Indy cars had all the attention. I wondered why you have to really dig to find news about Indy now. I find the cars are all Toyota and Honda. Thank you Danika Patrick for bringing some attention back to Indy. When I hear who ever won the recent NASCAR race, I think to myself, "It must have been his turn to win."

Perhaps that is the reason nobody suports indy car racing any more.
mike hunt

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005 15:13:21 -0400, Bob Palmer wrote:

Man, have you seen the Antifreeze commercial with Danic?!?!
Whoooo Hooooo!

NASCAR has created rules that make the cars from all the manufacturers essentially the same. Toyota is already competing in the truck series and will eventually move to the Nextel cup. It is pointless who is identified as the "manufacturer." The rules are super restrictive. There is no "technology" competition. If Toyota races cars in the Nextel Cup races, they will be essentially the same as the "Fords," "Chevrolets," and "Dodges." The major differences are the decals and the shape of the grille opening. Any series that tries to control things down to the point of specifying rear gear ratios, shock absorber designs, and spring rates can hardly be encouraging innovations. The most important thing is to get a good team. Winning and loosing depends on fine details. The biggest change in NASCAR since 1965 is aerodynamics. NASCAR is doing its best to make sure that all the cars are aerodynamically the same. Strip off the bodies and most of the parts will look just like a combination of 1965 Ford front suspension and 1965 GMC Truck rear suspension bolted to a homemade tube frame. Think of NASCAR as WWE in cars with a more corrupt body enforcing the rules.
Ed