Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

My '94 Accord's odometer is at 302,000K miles and though it still runs well, I wonder if having the injectors cleaned would make it run even better. They never have been cleaned before. I understand it is not a
very expensive cleaning job.

Better to run Shell 93 for a few tanks first, and see if that doesn't perk things up a bit and/or bring your mileage up. (I say that from experience. You're not looking for the octane level, you're looking for the wonderful cleaners that Shell uses in their 93 octane fuel.)
You should hesitate to do much to that engine. Certainly don't let a service organization "run this stuff through the engine, clean it right out".
There used to be (and may still be) a nationwide company called *maybe* Precision Tuning, or something like that, so don't hold me to that name. So I went in when my Pontiac 6000 STE went out of warranty for the special $19.99 tune, or something like that. I had to put down the money, because they did not trust their customers, and was not going to get it back, if I refused the work./ And what was the work? It seemed that my almost new car needed a fuel injector flush which was about fifty to seventy dollars *before* they could even get to the $19.99 special. I left, leaving the money on the table, and wrote a letter explaining small claims court which would get my money back and they would have to pay court costs. I received a check within the week. I have owned a dozen or so cars, from BMWs, Jaguars, Fiats, Pontiacs, Jeeps, Hondas, etc. And I have never had a fuel injector flush. The champion was a Jeep dealer who explained that *their* 60K service involved changing all the fluids. for only $600.00. I asked if I got a blood transfusion with that. Then I asked for my car, which they took fifteen minutes to find. They lost their Jeep franchise, but still hawk GM.
Somewhere on teh intarwebs billzz wrote:

Does anyone ever read that 'wall of text'? I know I don't.
--
Shaun.

On 12/30/2011 4:59 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

I've been using the Chevron 91 and milage is not really a problem. I still geta round 24-25 mpg combined city/highway milage in the summer, Winter is another story because of the winter mix the gas stations carry. I just wonder if cleaner jets would make the engine run smoother.

I wasn't thinking doing that.
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Or add some Techron... That stuff does wonders even with carbed cars!
JT
On 12/30/11 7:59 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Shell is certified by the Top Tier Gas program-- and one condition of certification is that all grades of gas must contain the same high level of detergent. Being as they are certified, I wonder about the accuracy of your statement that the 93 octane is really any cleaner burning.
Back in the day, higher grades indeed had more detergents-- but I'm not sure that's true any more-- at least for most of the major brands.
I know BP varies detergent level by grade-- and they are not Top Tier certified.
--
These are the charges as recorded this day.

Faithfully submitted,

All must have a MINIMUM level as specified by the Top Tier program, to differentiate from any federal or state "requirements".
But Shell can, and does, put more/different stuff in their 93.
On 12/31/11 3:57 PM, Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

Oh, thanks. I guess I had it wrong.
Any other brands that juice their hi-test? What about dumping a bottle of Techron in there?

I wonder if the usual 10% ethanol in gas helps clean injectors? Or helps keep them clean?
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jim Yanik wrote:

My first inclination is to lean towards harm from increased water content...
JT

Save your money. Modern gas and Keihin injectors keep mighty clean all on their own.
--
Tegger

On 12/30/2011 5:38 PM, Tegger wrote:

Thanks. I'll stay put with my money then.
Tegger wrote:

You know that "Keihin" is a very naughty dirty word in the world of carburetors, right?
EPA inspired to say the least...
JT
(Who sees a Webber in his future)

But a highly-respected one in the injector world.

/Completely/ EPA-mandated.
--
Tegger

On 12/31/2011 10:17 AM, Tegger wrote:

what is it with you and epa misattribution? the california air review board started the fuel injection ball rolling in terms of usa injection, but it had existed long before that. heck, german ww2 fighter planes had it in the 1940's.
injection is the way to go if you want tight mixture control over a wide range of throttle openings. end of story - no epa or detroit bean counter misinformation required.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

ELECTRONIC fuel injection is beneficial to emissions,but mechanical injection had no effect on it. You don't get any "tight mixture control" with mechanical injector systems;no feedback loop.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 12/31/2011 11:15 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

no feedback loop, correct, but with mechanical injection, you don't get float level issues based on incline or cornering, you don't get icing, and you can still keep the mix definition much tighter for a wider range of openings.
don't get me wrong - carbs can be well made and offer the advantage of better mixture formation in some circumstances. but tegger constantly bleating misinformation that the epa is the only reason cars use injection is complete bullshit.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

jim beam wrote:

Uh, we're talkin carbs here...
JT
Tegger wrote:

Yep... Used only in the good ol' USA!
I would dealy love to find a foreign head/manifold/carb combo that wouldn't cost a small fortune to obtain. I guess that my only choice is the Webber conversion...
JT