Injector cleaning, is it worth it?

My '94 Accord's odometer is at 302,000K miles and though it still runs well, I wonder if having the injectors cleaned would make it run even better. They never have been cleaned before. I understand it is not a very expensive cleaning job.

Reply to
cameo

Better to run Shell 93 for a few tanks first, and see if that doesn't perk things up a bit and/or bring your mileage up. (I say that from experience. You're not looking for the octane level, you're looking for the wonderful cleaners that Shell uses in their 93 octane fuel.)

You should hesitate to do much to that engine. Certainly don't let a service organization "run this stuff through the engine, clean it right out".

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

There used to be (and may still be) a nationwide company called *maybe* Pre= cision Tuning, or something like that, so don't hold me to that name. So I= went in when my Pontiac 6000 STE went out of warranty for the special $19.=

99 tune, or something like that. I had to put down the money, because they= did not trust their customers, and was not going to get it back, if I refu= sed the work./ And what was the work? It seemed that my almost new car nee= ded a fuel injector flush which was about fifty to seventy dollars *before*= they could even get to the $19.99 special. I left, leaving the money on t= he table, and wrote a letter explaining small claims court which would get = my money back and they would have to pay court costs. I received a check w= ithin the week. I have owned a dozen or so cars, from BMWs, Jaguars, Fiats= , Pontiacs, Jeeps, Hondas, etc. And I have never had a fuel injector flush= . The champion was a Jeep dealer who explained that *their* 60K service in= volved changing all the fluids. for only $600.00. I asked if I got a blood= transfusion with that. Then I asked for my car, which they took fifteen m= inutes to find. They lost their Jeep franchise, but still hawk GM.
Reply to
billzz

I've been using the Chevron 91 and milage is not really a problem. I still geta round 24-25 mpg combined city/highway milage in the summer, Winter is another story because of the winter mix the gas stations carry. I just wonder if cleaner jets would make the engine run smoother.

I wasn't thinking doing that.

Reply to
cameo

cameo wrote in news:jdlls3$t0m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

Save your money. Modern gas and Keihin injectors keep mighty clean all on their own.

Reply to
Tegger

Thanks. I'll stay put with my money then.

Reply to
cameo

Or add some Techron... That stuff does wonders even with carbed cars!

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

You know that "Keihin" is a very naughty dirty word in the world of carburetors, right?

EPA inspired to say the least...

JT

(Who sees a Webber in his future)

Reply to
GrumpyOne

Shell is certified by the Top Tier Gas program-- and one condition of certification is that all grades of gas must contain the same high level of detergent. Being as they are certified, I wonder about the accuracy of your statement that the 93 octane is really any cleaner burning.

Back in the day, higher grades indeed had more detergents-- but I'm not sure that's true any more-- at least for most of the major brands.

I know BP varies detergent level by grade-- and they are not Top Tier certified.

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

GrumpyOne wrote in news:jdnc6u$9cf$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

But a highly-respected one in the injector world.

/Completely/ EPA-mandated.

Reply to
Tegger

what is it with you and epa misattribution? the california air review board started the fuel injection ball rolling in terms of usa injection, but it had existed long before that. heck, german ww2 fighter planes had it in the 1940's.

injection is the way to go if you want tight mixture control over a wide range of throttle openings. end of story - no epa or detroit bean counter misinformation required.

Reply to
jim beam

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" wrote in news:elmop- snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I wonder if the usual 10% ethanol in gas helps clean injectors? Or helps keep them clean?

Reply to
Jim Yanik

jim beam wrote in news:jdnkm3$l8i$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

ELECTRONIC fuel injection is beneficial to emissions,but mechanical injection had no effect on it. You don't get any "tight mixture control" with mechanical injector systems;no feedback loop.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

no feedback loop, correct, but with mechanical injection, you don't get float level issues based on incline or cornering, you don't get icing, and you can still keep the mix definition much tighter for a wider range of openings.

don't get me wrong - carbs can be well made and offer the advantage of better mixture formation in some circumstances. but tegger constantly bleating misinformation that the epa is the only reason cars use injection is complete bullshit.

Reply to
jim beam

All must have a MINIMUM level as specified by the Top Tier program, to differentiate from any federal or state "requirements".

But Shell can, and does, put more/different stuff in their 93.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Oh, thanks. I guess I had it wrong.

Any other brands that juice their hi-test? What about dumping a bottle of Techron in there?

Reply to
Douglas C. Neidermeyer

Yep... Used only in the good ol' USA!

I would dealy love to find a foreign head/manifold/carb combo that wouldn't cost a small fortune to obtain. I guess that my only choice is the Webber conversion...

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

Uh, we're talkin carbs here...

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

My first inclination is to lean towards harm from increased water content...

JT

Reply to
GrumpyOne

Does anyone ever read that 'wall of text'? I know I don't.

Reply to
~misfit~