Insight Air Compressor

The A.C. compressor on my daughter's 2011 Insight failed and the dealer told her this was due to a "road hazard" and that it would not be covered under
warranty. I have not looked at it and I do not know where the compressor is located to see if a road hazard failure is reasonable.
Anyone else have an unexplained A.C. problem?
Thanks, Dennis
doregan at verizon dot net

I'm sure the dealer said "condenser", not "compressor".
The condenser is the radiator-like thing in front of the usual radiator under the hood at the front of the car. It can be struck by rocks and other road debris with sufficient force to knock a hole in it, at which point all your refrigerant goes poof into the air.
Unfortunately, it's like tires and windshields: When they fail due to something you struck in the road, the cost to fix it is yours.
--
Tegger

I believe you are correct - it is the condenser. Will non-Honda shops typically be able to replace that? I'm guessing they end up buying parts from Honda anyway.
Thanks, Dennis
"Tegger" wrote in message

I'm sure the dealer said "condenser", not "compressor".
The condenser is the radiator-like thing in front of the usual radiator under the hood at the front of the car. It can be struck by rocks and other road debris with sufficient force to knock a hole in it, at which point all your refrigerant goes poof into the air.
Unfortunately, it's like tires and windshields: When they fail due to something you struck in the road, the cost to fix it is yours.
--
Tegger

Absolutely. But I'd recommend you use a dealer in spite of the added labor cost.
This car is brand-new, and still very much under warranty. Suppose an independent screws something up? Would Honda honor any warranty claims thereafter that involved areas of the car that were disturbed during the aftermarket repair? Do you want to take that chance? You could be into big money there.

For a 2011, likely, but not certain. If the Insight condenser is the same as some other models, aftermarket parts may be readily available...and may be a fraction of the quality of genuine-Honda.
Plus, this is /not/ like replacing a light bulb: You need to do a lot of work and mess with a lot of parts when replacing the condenser. That means a high probability of screwups, which is why you really should bite the bullet and do these repairs with your warranty in mind.
Honda is unlikely to deny warranty repairs on screwups made by their licensed dealers, and much more likely to deny claims for screwups made by aftermarket garages.
--
Tegger

On 11/5/2011 6:34 PM, QuestionQuigley wrote:

You might want to discuss this with your insurance company. Since it is a new car, I'm guessing it has collision/comprehensive coverage. There is a good chance the comprehensive portion would cover this.
Thanks for the responses. Good idea on the insurance company. It is worth the call.
"Al" wrote in message

You might want to discuss this with your insurance company. Since it is a new car, I'm guessing it has collision/comprehensive coverage. There is a good chance the comprehensive portion would cover this.

The AC compressor itself likely did not get hit by a road hazard, but it's entirely likely the condensor did--and that can cause damage throughout the system.