Install Nav in Honda Odyssey EX?

Hi,

I just purchased a used 1999 Honday Odyssey EX. The van does not have the optional GPS Navigation system from Honda.

I want to know if it is possible to install a GPS Nav system after-the-fact. I recognize that this would change the layout of the dash, so I'm not even sure if it's possible. The GPS Nav system for the Odyssey also runs the heaing & AC controls, so there are fewer knobs on the dashboard. I'm guessing I would have to go to an auto wrecking yard for the plastic dashboard frame stuff.

Should it be possible, what am I looking for? I've seen used DVD Nav systems for sale that are supposed to work with several different model Honda's, but I don't know exactly which model would work with my vehicle. Further, if I found a '99 model that would work with my vehicle, would its maps be horribly out-of-date and unable to be updated?

Thanks in advance!

Reply to
justinbest

Not the factory one.

So get a Garmin unit or something.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Yes it is possible. The real question is... are you willing to pay the price.

Just the navigation control unit's, retail price is over $2000! I would estimate the cost of retro fitting factory navi to be between 3 and 5 thousand dollars, assuming you pay retail for everything. And do the labor yourself.

A better solution is a Garmin Nuvi.

I recently had the opportunity to use one and it works well.

2 problems from my experience:
  1. The screen is smaller than the factory navi.
  2. If you don't take it with you, when you exit the car, someone else will...

-- Tp,

----- -\

Reply to
TomP

Then spend $1500 to $2000 on the large screen Garmin, and still come out way ahead.

Plus, you can move it from car to car.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty