Interior map lights only work w/ door open 03 accord ex-l

We have a 2003 Accord EX-L 4 cyl - the front map / courtesy lights only light w/ the door open and they dim when closed then go off but they do not
work when you just push the button with the key in or out (They'll go off if you push them and the door is open). Once I tried the valet key and they worked - then stopped. This started after getting a state inspection - coincidence I hope. We didn't realize how much we used them til they stopped working. Would anyone know a fix for this that I could do? I checked all fuses etc. Our Honda dealer is far away. I could take to local garage but prefer not to. If anyone can help, PLEASE let me know. THANKS!! Jim ( snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net) in case I can't figure out how to find this post after I send it. I am not good at newsgroup stuff or how to search to see if this was answered before (I'm getting old). Last time I asked for help was several years ago (I had to dig out old PC just to see how to get into this newsgroup - it's not on new PC - someone set this up last time I had a question).