INTERMITTANT STIFF GAS PEDAL WHEN ACCELERATING

Hello everyone!!!

I am in desperate need of some help to figure out my problem.... here it goes: I have a 1987 Honda Accorde EXI, 193,00kms, Auto Trans, V6, Fuel injected. When I acclerate, between 20-40 km & 60-80 km the gas pedal becomes very stiff that I can't even press it and the speed stays at 20km or

60km etc. After releasing my foot off the pedal and try to force the pedal down, sometimes it will finally kick in and go and sometimes its stays stuck at 20km for like 45 min before it will smarten up! Now, I have had manyyyyyyy diagnosis' from different mecahnics including Honda formans and other shop technicians. One told be its the throttle valve sticking in the transmission (which I find hard to believe) AND this was the Honda Dealership! The other Honda dealership says it may be the accelerator cable seizing up, another tech says its the gas pedal itself, another one says its the fuel injection system, another one says its the engine, another says the Tranny is shot and the last one says he doesn't have a clue! I guess after much $$$ spent on diagnosing the fault, I am a little concrned in spending more $$4 replacing parts and it not fixing the problem. Has anyone experience this or know anything and may be able to help?? Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thank you!!!
Reply to
REDDY2GO

First of all, unless you did an interesting engine swap, your Accord has a

4-cylinder, not a V6.

I suggest a cleaning of the throttle body, because it might be clogged with many years of carbon build-up. I had similar symptoms with my '93 Accord last year, and cleaning the throttle body fixed it.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

cT = 0.8

  1. there is no 87 v6 accord.
  2. some of the suggestions made by your mechanics could be correct.

what i want to know is, what qualifies you to disregard one diagnosis or another? either do the diagnosis yourself [disconnect a few cables and you'll soon find out] or pay someone else to do it. regrettably, my psychic assistant is on vacation today so i can't undertake any further analysis for you.

Reply to
jim beam