is honda fit too slow?

I'm interested in small cars that can haul lots of stuff and gets good gas mileage. The honda fit seems to fit the bill. However, 0-60mph performance is rated
at 12 seconds, which is way slower than average. Does the car have trouble going up a steep hill or merging into freeway? Most review I read about this car did not mention anything about the slow engine.

the stick shift version reviewed by c&d did 0-60 sprint in 8.5 sec. Unless the gearing was bastardized since then it should be around that mark. I think even crap like prius does 0-60 in less than 12. dunno about automatic though. It might be slower some. which engine? us gets only 1.5 liter which should be plenty good with the current gearing, maybe if smaller engine arrive here they'd come up with tall gearing to compete with the shitboxes from toyoda?

It depends on whether you have a manual or an automatic transmission - response is very different. I have a manual and it is adequate for freeway merging and for climbing hills, and overall mileage is 41

Consumer Reports recommended the manual trans. over the automatic because of the slower performance of the auto. I am really pleased with both the performance and the economy of the 5 speed. I drove up to the summit of Mt. Wilson (5,710 feet elevation) just to test how in would perform in mountainous terrain. I was more than satisfied. I knew it would not climb in 5th gear, as the ratio is .757 (if my memory is correct), but 4th gear was excellent for both the ascent and the descent.
As for freeway merges, that has not been a problem at all, in fact, it seems to perform much better than the size of its engine would dictate.
Besides having greater fuel economy, and better performance, the 5 speed is more fun to drive, IMHO.
Robert A. Cunningham

I have an Automatic Sport. The engine does want to downshift when going steep uphills, but it is nothing much -- best mileage has been 44 on freeway, part AC on. In city it consistently does way over 33 mpg including in winter. I have noticed no inability to merge with traffic at highway speeds. I do know that it is not a pocket rocket - but for the mileage I have no complaints. My only complaint is that my wife likes to drive it for her long commute and I get stuck driving a bigger vehicle.

you'd prefer that she wastes gas doing it the other way around? a coworker of mine complained that a wife of his insisted on suv. now he's divorced and is still paying for that P.O.S. of hers. not sure who pays for gas. as for the "stuck" part: can't you trade in for a mini or wait for a bmw 1? Then there is a very polished by now civic si. yumm, so many choices, some affordable. there's too little time in life to waste driving boring pieces of shit.
I found a Fit that was turbo-charged and it actually didnt hurt gas mileage by very much. I'll have to find the link somewhere.
peter wrote:

I have had mine for a year...sport auto and it is very peepy around town, no problems up hills....but merging onto a highway takes planning cause yes it is slow.