It's official. Manual transmissions are making a comeback.

Page 3 of 3
wrote:

same
I think you are correct.. Opel calls it a clutchless automatic or semi automatic. When it shifts the gear, it is not as smooth as normal automatics..You definitely feel it. a slight pause and the shift. if you take your foot off of the gas pedal slightly, it shifts easier or less noticeably. It also moves backward when you are on a very slight incline and your foot is not on the brake just like regular 5 speeds.

Well., same here too..first couple of times I stole the car from my wife, I shifted myself and got tired of it and quit...
ahmet

My mind drifts back to earlier days....
Around 1970 Renault offered an unusual (okay, *everything* about Renault was unusual, at least in those days) automatic transmission for the R16. It was a solenoid shifted manual transmission with a powdered iron clutch. The clutch was an electromagnet with steel clutch plates inside and the space inbetween was packed with iron filings. When the magnet was energized the clutch engaged. (I don't know what did the shifting.) I hear their unique creation had reliability problems - I wonder why ;-)
The 70s sure were not the good old days of automotive technology!
Mike
On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 12:00:04 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nospam.com (Dave) wrote:

I would be surprised if these were classified as MTs. The stats actually specify % AT and I would bet that any transmission that had the capability to fully automatic would qualify. You have always been able to manually shift an AT if you like.

Probably a good thing too as you would probably wear it out if you started aggressively shifting it. The Problem is that Tiptronic et al. don't really give you the control of an MT in that you can't separate the engine from the drive train to allow rpm matching. Now if they would use the same system used in the F1 cars it might be a different story. But I think even they have a clutch pedal for standing starts.
snipped-for-privacy@mindspring.com (Gordon McGrew) wrote:

Ah, but it is a fluidic separation between the two through the torque converter. So, what are you saying would wear out?

I wish they'd put a MT in the 4 door accord V6.
Using a pronoun @ the start of a paragraph / sentence, before the subject matter is introduced, indicates low IQ ; nobody will know what the pronoun represents, before the subject matter is introduced.

What are you talking about???
Mike

It's official. You're an idiot.
Inability to comprehend common, informal English indicates low IQ or perhaps unfamiliarity with the language. Either way, you shouldn't be giving us English lessons.
No one else has a problem understanding the phrase, "It's official." But then, no one else thinks that the electric clock is robbing their car of performance.