It's official. Manual transmissions are making a comeback.

It's official. You're an idiot.

Inability to comprehend common, informal English indicates low IQ or perhaps unfamiliarity with the language. Either way, you shouldn't be giving us English lessons.

No one else has a problem understanding the phrase, "It's official." But then, no one else thinks that the electric clock is robbing their car of performance.

Reply to
Gordon McGrew

I doubt that IMA can return over 30% in fuel consumption. I recall, on Edmund's Hybrid Forum, one of the Insight driver was operating without IMA. He was still getting over 50mpg, without any electrical assist. The IMA might return over 30% in optimum condition, but from normal driving, It's probably more like 15%.

I think Honda's Hybrid system could be improved if the battary capacy was improved and the car was allowed to charge-up overnight (or the IMA can be user programmed to expect overnight charging). In this case the 30% improvement could become a norm.

Honda's system does seem more cost effective when compared to more complicated and expenive system. I'm looking forward to seeing the system on more low priced entry level cars.

Hopefully, Honda will bring back the Insight (which is in it's last year of production), but with a go-fast suspension system and a better IMA mated to the 1.3L.

Pars

Reply to
Pars

But the Accord Hybrid is rather different. As far as I can tell, the electric motor is to keep the engine running smoothly when it's switching in and out of gas saving modes. The power meter shows little activity and the 15 HP electric motor is tiny compared to the 240 HP gas motor.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

thats kinda cool. i wonder if they can use that in place of balance shafts?

Reply to
SoCalMike

It's probably technically possible but I bet it would eat a lot of power.

How much does the balancer weigh? The 05 Accord Hybrid engine seems to rev up slowly compared to my simple old 97 Civic HX. It's the one thing that disappoints me a little - major downshift lag when stepping on the gas. It makes me miss a 5 speed manual.

Reply to
Kevin McMurtrie

True, but note that the vast majority of the time (or at least on the wimpy EPA certification cycles!) very little of that 240 hp is actually used. To be sure, the Accord is a lot heavier and less aerodynamic than the Insight. So it would benefit from a bigger battery. But (as you no doubt know) the proportion of battery to ICE size doesn't need stay the same as ICE power goes ballistic.

Reply to
Dave

It seems to be exactly the same as the Civic, almost the same as the original Insight, and completely different from the Prius and Escape.

The point about the motor being tiny is true, though. The benefit from idle-stop is still there, as is the cleanliness of the engine at initial takeoff, where the ICE wouldn't normally be very efficient. The Accord IMA produces 12% more hp than the Civic.

Reply to
dold

I don't think it would affect the balancer at all. On the other hand, there wouldn't be a flywheel, since the IMA is effectively the flywheel. That would help smoothness at idle.

Engine RPM when blipping the throttle could be part "drive by wire". There's a lot of computerized engine control involved. The Civic still has a throttle cable. I don't know about the Accord. The Ford Escape does not. In the Ford, blipping the throttle does absolutley nothing unless you go beyond about 2/3 throttle, at which point the RPM climbs rather slowly, maybe 2 seconds to 3000 RPM.

It could also be the heavy flywheel affect of the IMA.

Reply to
dold