K&N on 01 Civic experience

Friends,

I've recently installed a K&N cold air intake system on my 01 Civic EX (with

5 spd) and can't believe the increase in feul economy. My mpg has increased about 25 to 33%. Previously, I was getting about 36mpg, now is about 40mpg. The only thing I don't like is that the kit is way overpriced.

Has anyone else experience this?

"t" wrote in news:dDiRe.12077$qg2.9171@trnddc05:

Yeah, right.

Show me your raw numbers.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

I dont buy it. You have fallen for aftermarket air filter propaganda. Read the air filter test results and see how much more dirt they allow into the engine. You must like the noise it makes.

Reply to
zonie

I look to see the total number of miles driven since the last fill up divided by the number of gallons I put in to fill the tank up again.

why do you k&n people publish such lies? the stock heated air filtration system provides more than adequate air flow and the warmed air aids in fuel vaporation.

Reply to
I'm Right

I installed a drop in K&N on my 98 civic at about 80000kms. I'm now at

229000kms with the same filter. I noticed the following differences:

  1. My car sounded different, i like the sound but whatever

  1. better throttle reponse
  2. marginal power improvement
  3. marginal but noticeable fuel economy gain

I have put a factory filter in since, just to see if i was delusional. the differences above are actual changes. Now whether the extra dirt that gets in the motor (according to the reports tegger showed us) is worth all this, is questionable.

So far, my car has lasted and performed above my expectations. There may be more wear, but I can't tell. In my mind, I like the idea of not having to throw out the air filter. Instead I clean and oil it about every 50000kms.

I may switch back to OEM yet if I see more reports like that. t

TeGGeR® wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

I notice a difference in sound too, but only when the windows and roof are closed, radio off and inside air vents closed which is not very often.

Agree

Agree, but only when engine is warm. When engine is cold, power is reduced.

I noticed a big gain. Perhaps my feul gauge is bad.

Is it a lie, when one discusses their own observation? Isn't this a discussion board where we contribute our ideas and experiences. You're a prude.

Fuel economy needs to be tracked over several tanks of gas. Also, different gas pumps at the station will fill to different levels. Sometimes they leave alot of room at the top of the tank, others fill it til it gushes out of the filler neck. best way to measure is to drive a certain number of kms, and fill up til the first click or so. And use the same pump at the same gas station.

t wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

That is an 11% increase.

Reply to
Steve Bigelow

"Steve Bigelow" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@rogers.com:

And we've seen no raw numbers yet.

I can supply raw numbers on my mileage, why can't he?

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Tried a K&N air filter on my 01 Prelude. No improvement in mileage. If there was a performance gain it was virtually unoticeable. But, I did get a driveability problem which went away when I returned to the stock Honda filter.

Reply to
TWW

I think it goes without saying that if you experienced a significant gain the filter you took out was in pretty bad shape - one way or another. (That's a common way of troubleshooting problems - by substituting a known good part.) Intake filters can't improve performance or economy or throttle response at all, only reduce those by restricting air flow. The idea is to restrict flow of air as little as possible while preventing dirt from getting into the engine.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"Michael Pardee" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sedona.net:

But a cold air intake DOES reduce intake restriction,and also gives a cooler,denser air charge. Honda Tuning Magazine did dyno and flow bench tests,and both CAIs tested gave a 20HP increase on an RSX,and increased torque.

IIRC,the OP installed a CAI,not just a K&N filter.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Oops - missed those crucial words. Never mind!

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

"TWW" wrote in news:FerRe.21555$hp.15650@lakeread08:

You probably needed to reset the ECU. You pull the ECU fuse in the engine compartment for 30 minutes,then put it back in. Then the ECU relearns it's parameters when you drive it.

You also won't get much of any performance gain with only the air filter change;you need to go to a cold air intake(CAI). I got a very noticeable increase on my 94 Integra GSR.Also a big increase in noise,though.

Honda Tuning Magazine dyno-tested CAIs,short rams,and the K&N filter on an RSX,and the K&N filter had NO power or torque gains.The CAIs both got 20HP gains,and the short rams were around 5 HP gains.

The short rams are the easiest to install.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

No sir, the filter I replaced was pretty much new. As I mentioned, I have also changed back over to OEM (from Honda) and there was a difference. If the filter is the only thing different, then please tell me what the difference is?

As I mentioned, the differences are marginal, but NOTICEABLE.

Michael Pardee wrote:

Reply to
T L via CarKB.com

Thanks -- useful info. Seemed on the lean side.

Reply to
TWW

My calculations show you are getting ~11% increase. I think you may need to fill up again and check your numbers!!!

Reply to
DopplerD