Keep 2003 TL w/ 30,000 miles on it, or buy new car?

Page 2 of 2

a) how many miles do you drive
b) have you done the math? I'm curious what that "very small premium" is in the real world. If it's in fact very small, that's interesting.
On Sun, 02 Feb 2014 16:33:37 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Oh, I've marched through this at least once, I think twice, on this newsgroup over the last few years.
It works best if I drive a standard 12k miles/year plus or minus ten percent, I've had pretty good luck getting allowances for unused miles and waivers on minor damage.
What does it cost? Well, I typically pay like $2,400 cash to get the new car off the lot, so that's $67/month. I went all bonkers and got the EXL4 this time around for a payment with taxes of $360/month. And maybe it costs another $50/month to insure a more expensive vehicle, so that's $477/month. Call it $500/month including higher registration fees.
But I'm never out of pocket for the entire purchase price AT ALL!
And what appears as cash flow here is about half depreciation, and the rest interest on the principle - very low interest, these days.
$500/month to be eternally driving a new car, is pretty cheap. Let's say $100/month is for status, and another $100/month is real value for operating under factory warranty. So, for about $6/day, I drive a new car and never worry about a thing. And of course chicks dig it.
If I wanted to buy and hold on a budget of $300/month for about ten years, I'd have a budget of $36k. Let's say half of that would be to buy a "bargain" used car for $18k, and budget $150/month maintenance over the long run, including tires and hoses and (timing belt?). I think this is about ball park.
--

This is all made possible because there is a humongous market for
three year old clean used Hondas. I'm just doing my duty producing

which is the crazy part.
Buy Japanese cars new, but American cars used. Why people buy Japanese cars 3 years used is beyond me.