key fob battery

I noticed this cold morning, my key fob wasn't working at first then it worked but seemed to take 2 tries instead of the usual 1 try to lock my 2003 Accord. Since it seems to work okay and was never
dropped or damaged. Therefore I'm thinking it's just a battery getting older. Before I google this stuff.... I noticed a small screw and a small notch in the seam of the key fob. Can I replace the battery myself and where can I get one? Any idea to the battery cost? Is this something I can just go to a local Honda dealer and have their service dept just do it for me while I wait? Or go to a radio shack do it for me?
On 12/10/2012 7:56 AM, Observer wrote:

Don't have the fob for a 2003. But our 2005 and 2006 fobs have a small (maybe >") indentation along the seam of the case.
With the 2005 it's along the top edge where the key ring is attached and with the 2006, it's down towards the bottom close the the screw you mention next to the key shank.
Take a dime or small flat bladed screw driver and pry it open by twisting the blade (or dime) sideways.
You do NOT have to unscrew anything.
Inside you'll find a wafer type Li-Ion cell (maybe a CR 2032 - it's been some time so I'm not sure of the size). This is definitely a user-replaceable item.
Batteries are available just about anywhere.
On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 08:13:55 -0600, Unquestionably Confused

That easy? I thought there was some dealer-only voodoo involved, at some point I thought there was about a $65 charge for doing it.
J.
"JRStern" wrote

My dealer (in AZ) replaced one in mine (2004 EX) for something like $10. Fair enough.
On 12/10/2012 7:56 AM, Observer wrote:

battery that is in the key fob before buying a battery
--

Rick Holbrook

Remember the USS Liberty
On 12/10/12 2:13 PM, Rick wrote:

Just curious-- how is it that you had to open the case on a near-new fob?
--
We have a spending problem, not a failure to raise taxes problem.
--Grover Norquist
On 12/10/2012 1:32 PM, Douglas C. Neidermeyer wrote:

posted the message because someone suggested a CR2032 I that was not correct. 2003's use the same battery as the 2012. :)
--

Remember the USS Liberty
http://www.ussliberty.org /

Just as a followup, I decided to see my mechanic instead of the dealer and he charged me $10 to replace it. My 2003 Accord had a wafer thick, dime size battery = "Panasonic CR1818 3v". There was no programming involved, just swap out batteries. Next time I'll do it myself.
I asked one of the counter people there how long these batteries typically last and he told me that Honda batteries last a long time and that the average time was like 7 to 8 years but of course that depends on how much you use it.
Thanks to all who replied here !

CORRECTION: battery was a " Panasonic CR 1616 3v" not CR 1818. You have to look real careful to see the difference.
Somewhere on teh intarwebs Observer wrote:

FYI the first two numbers are diameter in millimetres and the second two are thickness in tenths of a millimetre.
In this case 18mm diameter and 1.8mm thick. A 2032 (about the most common 'coin-cell') is 20mm diameter and 3.2mm thick.
Most are Lithium and 3v.
--
/Shaun.