Key Problem - 95 Accord Lx

Page 1 of 2
I'm having problems with the keys to my Honda - 193,000 miles. I've been leaving a key in the ignition at the first turn to shut the engine off. Will this drain the battery? This morning the car tried to
start but wouldn't. I've been leaving the key in for about 6 weeks.
Nancy
On 1/3/13 8:56 AM, Sara II wrote:

You need to leave your parking lights on as well while he car is parked (that's why they call them parking lights, silly). That will solve your problem.
--
We have a spending problem, not a failure to raise taxes problem.
--Grover Norquist

Why?
There's a good chance it will.
The "first turn" is the "I" setting, which is known as "Accessory" or "ACC" on many other cars. At that setting, electrical things like the radio will operate.

Why? Are you having trouble getting the key out of the ignition? Or is it hard to turn the key to the "0" position?
--
Tegger

On 1/3/2013 6:06 PM, Tegger wrote:

I've been having problems with turning the key to start the car once it is in and also getting the key out. I decided to leave it in so I won't get stranded away from home. I lock the car with the other key. . Nancy

The key might just be really worn. How easy is it to lock and unlock the driver's door? Do you have another, newer, key to try?
--
Tegger

On 1/3/2013 8:40 PM, Tegger wrote:

I just have the two original keys. It's sometimes a bit difficult to open the driver's side door.
Nancy
On 1/4/2013 4:00 AM, Sara II wrote:

I have the same problem with my '94 Accord but after some WD40 spray into the key hole, the key does work again for a while. Have you tried it?
On 1/4/2013 2:04 PM, cameo wrote:

A friend put graphite in the locks and ignition. Helped a bit but not much. The shop wants $330 to change out the starter "gizmo." I think I'll try getting a new key. We are in a very rural area so no locksmiths around here. I'll have to wait until I get to the big city.
Nancy
On 01/04/2013 12:38 PM, Sara II wrote:

changing the lock is pretty simple and you can do it yourself if you have some tools. the key assembly with new keys is <$100.
--
fact check required

On 01/04/2013 01:11 PM, jim beam wrote:

make that "lock assembly"

--
fact check required

On 1/4/2013 1:11 PM, jim beam wrote:

With a new door lock and key you will not be able to use the same key for ignition though. Not very convenient.
On 01/04/2013 05:21 PM, cameo wrote:

it's actually very easy to change out the tumblers and re-key your door locks if you've changed your ignition - the usual way around. some day i'll get around to writing up a how-to, but you remove the lock from the door, remove the cylinder from the barrel, shake out the tumblers and either replace, re-order or jewelers file the tumblers back into working order. it sounds a lot worse than it is - takes about 10 minutes to re-key the cylinder.
as for not being very convenient, it means you carry two keys, not one. not quite as simple, but not exactly hard. and certainly a good deal better than having no ignition or no ability to lock the car.
--
fact check required

On 1/4/2013 6:04 PM, jim beam wrote:

I already carry two keys: one on my key chain and a backup key in my pocket separately.

Graphite is a bad idea on car locks. Better is something like gun oil or sewing machine oil.
If you live in the north-east, a can of Carwell T-40 aerosol is even better: Spray and soak the lock generously until it spews out the keyole (the more the better), then work the key in and out and back and forth a few times.

Try your keys in the passenger door lock. Same result, or better?
The passenger lock will work better in any case, since it hardly gets any use, so the difference between driver and passenger must be significant before the key is suspect.
By the way, you can continue to use your one-turn key method, so long as you make certain that ALL electrical stuff is turned OFF. Especially, turn the radio OFF. Don't just turn the volume down or switch the radio to a setting where the sound appears to go away.
--
Tegger

Sorry...let me clarify that:
- If both doors are roughly-equally difficult to open with the suspect key, then the key is at fault. - If the passenger door is significantly easier to open with the suspect key, then the driver's lock is likely at fault.
--
Tegger

On 01/04/2013 04:03 PM, Tegger wrote:

correct.
if you can be bothered, it's much better to carry and use the valet key if you have manual locks. this is because the difference between the valet and standard key is the much wider "land" on the valet which is used to keep the key from fitting the trunk, but at the same time, causes much less wear of the main lock tumblers because of the wider contact surface..
--
fact check required

On 01/04/2013 03:24 PM, Tegger wrote:

but graphite is a solid state lubricant - it doesn't freeze. gun oil and sewing machine oil do. that black stuff smeared all over the brand new lock you buy [if you ever have] is graphite. solid state is why *lock manufacturers* use it.

--
fact check required

What about the passenger door? Is that one easier to open, or just as difficult?
--
Tegger

On 1/4/2013 5:15 PM, Tegger wrote:

The passenger door is easier to open than the driver's side.
Nancy
Hi,
I believe you can get a new key made at a Honda dealership if you give them the VIN number and proof of ownership, or does that only apply to more modern vehicles. This route will provide a key with zero wear.
Assuming it is the key and not the ignition lock cylinder that has most of the wear then this method would help as you have a key with no wear.
Al Moodie.