kinda ot, but kinda not: political action required

better link

jim beam

Good. I hope it passes....

Reply to
Stewart

Which congressmen sponsor this bill? Are manufacturers and their dealers strongly opposing it?

Reply to
Cameo

It looked like about 3:1 Dem:Rep - that almost makes it bipartisan. I would place a fairly large bet on the manufacturers and dealers opposing it.

Reply to
dgk

absolutely - manufacturers and dealers have done everything they can to eviscerate the original obd legislation with their own "tier two" proprietary codes. and, iirc, braking and transmission systems are not covered.

the whole thing needs to be updated and open repair diagnostics mandatory, including commercial diesels which i believe are completely closed.

Reply to
jim beam

Hmmmmph!

Why would congress ever consider legislation that empowers the people?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

"Cameo" wrote in news:hrt93k$ipo$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal- september.org:

Honda already has

. This site has provided, for some time now, and to any US billing address, exactly what is available to US dealerships. And as of very recently, now it even works for Canadians. I bought a three-day subscription so I could poke around to see how it all worked (I've got until 12:41pm EDT tomorrow before the subscription runs out).

I think this "Right to Repair" thing is pointless.

Reply to
Tegger

maybe "pointless" for honda, but it's not for others. bmw wouldn't let you even open the hood if they had their way about it.

Reply to
jim beam

jim beam wrote in news:e--dnYg5Ypugh37WnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@speakeasy.net:

BMW has a Techinfo site:

is $30 for 1 day!! I did a bit of Googling using these terms: techinfo

Looks like just about everybody has a Techinfo site now.

I remember reading that that the Techinfo sites are in response to federal legislation forcing automakers to open up their resources to the public.

Reply to
Tegger

Very close to true. You can get training and service manuals for doing many things yourself, but the proprietary service tool and its software are required to obtain and interpret many of the codes, and even to properly change brake fluid. A while back, BMW TSBs became unavailable without paying a fee (I have not checked lately so that might have changed).

Honda's service information availability is excellent, as is that for some (perhaps all) domestic carmakers.

I have to agree that some regulation would be helpful here.

Reply to
JRE