kinda ot, but kinda not: political action required

http://capwiz.com/righttorepair/home /

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 05/05/2010 08:23 AM, jim beam wrote:

better link http://righttorepair.org/about/default.aspx
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Good. I hope it passes....

Which congressmen sponsor this bill? Are manufacturers and their dealers strongly opposing it?

It looked like about 3:1 Dem:Rep - that almost makes it bipartisan. I would place a fairly large bet on the manufacturers and dealers opposing it.
On 05/06/2010 05:08 AM, dgk wrote:

absolutely - manufacturers and dealers have done everything they can to eviscerate the original obd legislation with their own "tier two" proprietary codes. and, iirc, braking and transmission systems are not covered.
the whole thing needs to be updated and open repair diagnostics mandatory, including commercial diesels which i believe are completely closed.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Honda already has https://techinfo.honda.com .
This site has provided, for some time now, and to any US billing address, exactly what is available to US dealerships. And as of very recently, now it even works for Canadians. I bought a three-day subscription so I could poke around to see how it all worked (I've got until 12:41pm EDT tomorrow before the subscription runs out).
I think this "Right to Repair" thing is pointless.
--
Tegger

On 05/06/2010 12:09 PM, Tegger wrote:

maybe "pointless" for honda, but it's not for others. bmw wouldn't let you even open the hood if they had their way about it.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

I did a bit of Googling using these terms: techinfo <name of automaker brand>
Looks like just about everybody has a Techinfo site now.
I remember reading that that the Techinfo sites are in response to federal legislation forcing automakers to open up their resources to the public.
--
Tegger

jim beam wrote:

Very close to true. You can get training and service manuals for doing many things yourself, but the proprietary service tool and its software are required to obtain and interpret many of the codes, and even to properly change brake fluid. A while back, BMW TSBs became unavailable without paying a fee (I have not checked lately so that might have changed).
Honda's service information availability is excellent, as is that for some (perhaps all) domestic carmakers.
I have to agree that some regulation would be helpful here.
--
JRE

jim beam wrote:

Hmmmmph!
Why would congress ever consider legislation that empowers the people?
JT