Knock When Coasting

Hello, I have a 98 Civic DX 5 spd that has a knock when I am coasting. It stops when I brake, or accelerate, or if I press in the clutch. Does anybody have any Idea what this could be? I have heard it can be
the bearings, cv joints, or a warped rotor. The car also sorta rumbles if I accelerate too much in 1st gear. Any help on this would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
ftdn wrote:

check your motor mounts.
Hello, I have a 98 Civic DX 5 spd that has a knock when I am coasting. It stops when I brake, or accelerate, or if I press in the clutch. Does anybody have any Idea what this could be? I have heard it can be the bearings, cv joints, or a warped rotor. The car also sorta rumbles if I accelerate too much in 1st gear. Any help on this would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance!
If the timing is not set correctly--it can cause pinging and knocking problems.

I vote for the CV joints. Basic inspection is easy, but there have been a lot of reports of noisy CV joints in Hondas without the boots being torn. Raising one front wheel at a time and rotating the wheel while feeling carefully for lumpiness may offer a clue. I'd turn my attention away from the bearings because the noise is dependent on the torque, and bearings typically don't care about that.
Mike
ftdn wrote:

I might vote for the inner CV joints, since they flex so little they don't show up the way the outers do. A google (groups) search might find lots more.
'Curly'
or loose lug nuts

Good point - uncommon enough to be overlooked, easy to check and a real nightmare if left unfixed.
Mike