Larger 4 Cyl Engine In Accord's Question

Hello,
Will probably be purchasing a 2009 Accord when they appear in a few weeks.
Was wondering about the two different 4-cyl. engines they offered in 2008,
and I presume will again for the 2009's.
The difference in HP seems almos negligible; I think only about 10 HP or so more for the "bigger" four cyl.
Is this really enough to make some difference ? Would I really even notice it, probably ?
What do most folks get ? Why ?
Or, is there something else different besides jus HP that actually makey the larger one "better" ?
Thanks, Bob

www.fueleconomy.gov shows the same size engine for all 2008 4-cylinder Accords. Did you mean to ask something else?
I do see that fuel mileage of the 6-cylinder 2008 Accord is not very different from that of the 4-cylinder. This is probably due to the new "Variable Cylinder Management" system of newer 6-cylinder Hondas.
Hi,
I may be wrong, or mis-read, but I am fairly sure in many car mags that there was in 2008 (and presumably for 2009 also) two different four cyl offering. I think it said that the difference in HP was (only) about 12 HP.
Bob --------------------------

Robert11 wrote:

afaik, the power difference is due to the vtec cam, not different engine capacity.

You are correct. These two 2008 Accord engines have the same displacement. Both use I-VTEC. From my reading, the difference in HP is due to different tuning (timing of valve opening and closing and possibly ignition). The result is that the EX (= 190 hp) has better acceleration at speeds around 50 mph (and up?).
This phenomenon (same engine displacement for Accord, Civic, whatever, but different hp) seems to occur on a number of Hondas yada. Discussion at http://www.hondanews.com/search/release/3013?q=ATDC&s=honda for the 1993 Acura Legend (comparing it to the 92 Legend?) may be helpful.
Just speculating, but I imagine the EX is touted to be more suitable (comfort and performance-wise) for those whose driving more often consists of long trips on the highway.
Robert11 wrote:

Hi, Why are you hung up on HP rating? If really want to compare them look at the power band to see where peak HP and torque is occuring. I am waiting for multi-displacement engine for my nest car. Another way to look at is under powered or marginally powered engine vs. over(reserve) powered engine for the intended use. Or power to weight ratio.
"Robert11" wrote

You can't just choose the engine. At least in the sedan, it's the EX series that offers the 190 HP engine. The LX series offers the 177 HP one.
http://automobiles.honda.com/accord-sedan/specifications.aspx

Regardless of whether you opt for the 190hp 2.4 I4 found in the EX or the 177 hp in the LX and LXP sedans, I understand the gas mileage in the new I4 Accords is not as good as the older 166 hp 2.4 ltr I 4s. I should imagine the weight and size increase contribute to this. On a recent highway trip I managed to get a little over 35 mpg on a 06 Accord coupe I4 auto.
The base engine is just fine.
I believe the larger one requires premium fuel, at least to deliver its extra power.
What have you been driving?
If you really need acceleration, or plan to drive four hefty people uphill in high temperatures at high altitude while towing a trailer, you might go for the six.
J.

JXStern wrote:

with a fully loaded roof rack...