******LED Motorcycle Lighting******

I am looking for someone I can communicate with about replacing stock motorcycle turn signals and possibly the headlight with LEDs. I am NOT interested in buying premade lights. I would like to design my own but I do not know much about the wiring or LEDs. I do NOT want someone who will criticize me for asking a lot of questions because as I said, I am unexperienced. Please leave me a way to email you if you would like to help this girl "pimp" out her bike! Thanks!

Reply to
Squash

Rumor has it the first LED headlights (for cars) will be out later this year, for about a grand each. So you're pushing the state of the art there. Not sure what the law says, guess only that it needs to be so bright and somewhat white, which is probably a couple of dozen of the newest 3w white LEDs that retail about twenty bucks a pop. And apparently you have to give them some kind of heat sink or they'll cook themselves. Well, that's about all I know, good luck. Taillights should be easier.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

JXStern wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ebay has some HongKong companies that have bulk quantities of hi brightness red and amber 10mm LEDs at reasonable prices. You want an array of 20 or more LEDs for best visibility,in 3-4 parallel strings of LEDs. Then you have to make a circuit board to physically hold the array of LEDs and resistors to limit the current to proper values(~20-25ma per string) then you have to mount the array in your turn signal housing.(there's where it gets interesting.....) Each LED has a approximate voltage drop(1.8-2.x volts per LED) at a specified current,so you string several LEDs in series along with a resistor to limit the current for the 13.6volts of your electrical system. Then you parallel those strings of LEDs. You have to know the max current for your LEDs before you can calculate the resistor values.

Perhaps you could Google for LED mods for motorcycles,and buy a ready-made system,if anyone has created one.

Reply to
Jim Yanik