Legend Electrial

My 1992 Acura Legend is acting weird. For the last two or three years whenever I lock the doors while driving they will start to unlock and lock themselves. Sometimes several times in a row and sometimes not.
There have been times I have locked the car and left it only to have the alarm go off on its own. This does not happen often (I think). In the last year, at times the drive indicator light will flash like a signal light. This will stay that way regardless of what gear the car is in. If I stop the car and start again it may or may not do it. All of these "pains" I could live with but now the car will drop cruise control for no reason. What is happening? This car has less than 60,000 miles and has always been garaged and is in otherwise "mint" shape.

When I hear complaints of widespread electrical hooliganism like this I immediately think of grounds and especially the ground for the engine block to the chassis.
Different cars have different ways of grounding the engine, but every engine must be well grounded. The two general ways of doing this are to bring two heavy wires out of the battery negative terminal, with one going to the chassis nearby and one going to the engine block, and the other way is with a separate heavy wire between the the block and the chassis. Seek and ye shall likely find whichever one you have. Unfasten, clean and tighten each connection point on general principals.
The other likely possibility is that the alternator or battery is causing the battery voltage to be unclean when the engine is running. If it is the alternator - bad diodes will do that - a measurement across the battery with the engine running will reveal more than 1/2 volt AC on a digital multimeter (you can't use most analog multimeters because of the DC component). If the alternator is good, you will see less than 1/10 volt AC and about 14 volts DC across the battery. Battery trouble doing that really isn't common, and the only time I had it happen to me the battery refused to start the car afterward.
Mike
KDS wrote:

If the 'D' light is flashing, you probably need to put new tranny fluid in your auto. (twice). If the cruise is dropping out, call the dealer and see if they recommend changing the ignition switch. Ours started dropping the cruise when it failed (97 CR-v) and Honda recalled about a BILLION of them in North America. See if the dealer can get you an owner's manual too. If not, eBay is a good place, or call around to the wreckers.
The grounding wires idea is excellent too.
'Curly'
KDS wrote:

snip
How old is your battery?
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

New 1 year ago. If the car sits for more than 3 or 4 weeks (as it ofen does) the battery needs a charge. Thanks, Ken