Looking at Some Used Hondas

"Tegger" wrote

I hear you.

I like what you say here. I am glad I currently have the reliable wheels to support my amateur addiction and indeed not be in a hurry.

Priced a paint job today: $1000 or more, and the less expensive ones look lousy. Guy at the body shop said he thought my current paint job (the original) looked good and I'd make it worse by re-painting.

Fixing up the rear wheel wells would cost around $750. But the guy did not impress me. Bustard literally poked holes in my work, like it was his car. I think I'll stick with my Pep Boys plastic/roof cement/black paint/etc. fix and, like I say above, keep an eye peeled for a CRX.

Reply to
Elle

Mines seems to vary quite a bit.. The more stop-go the driving , the worse mine seems to get. Also, if the a/c is on with city driving, the mpg really drops.. Maybe 20-22 mpg?? With the a/c off, and mixed driving with about half on the highway, I seem to get about 27 or so. I've never had it on an interstate trip yet, so don't know about the mpg at a constant

70 mph. I'm guessing it might edge towards 30 or so if I get lucky. I think the a/c has a good bit less effect at highway speeds, than city. For one thing, you cut the wind drag, if the windows are up. I have the auto tranny which gets a bit less than a manual. I don't get near what a light manual civic would get. But... They don't have all the electric windows, mirrors, etc, etc that adds all that extra weight. The accord is a more comfortable car to drive overall, but you pay for it in less mpg.. I'm kinda mixed.. I like the fancier doodads with the accord, but I do like real high mpg numbers too. If I had someone that wanted to trade a decent stripped down manual civic for my accord, I'd probably seriously consider it. The idea of 40's mpg numbers is quite attractive to me. The main reason I ended up with an accord, is thats just what I ran across.. When I was looking at cars, I wasn't narrowing to hondas only.. Was also looking at toyotas, etc also.. I didn't care as long as the mpg was half decent. One thing about the 89 accord I have.. It seems small compared to the recent year models.. Heck, the newer civics look dang near as big as my older 3G accord... MK
Reply to
nm5k

It would probably be closer to 34 or so...

It's pretty much a wash...

That doesn't add the weight. I think the increased weight of the newer models is more due to the better suspension and beefier engines, etc...

The new civics are pretty much the same size as your old accord. But the new accords get pretty good mileage...

Reply to
Joe LaVigne

DX is the base model, so I would say it does not have VTEC unless the engine was swapped. My '04 Civic is a mid-level LX and it does not have VTEC.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit