Looking for replacement hood..

Hello all.. I wrecked my hood pretty bad. My fault, and I have a $1k deductible.

I found a friend of a friend who owns a paint shop who will paint a hood if I bring it. But I need to BYOH. Is there a inexpensive mail order place? or even better, local in the Bay Area California (live in Sunnyvale, work in Pleasanton)?

Any suggestions?

I have a 2000 Honda Civic.

Thanks.

Evan

Reply to
Evan Platt

Your best bet may be

. It's located in San Leandro. Isn't that a short distance from you? You can get a price for a new hood there, and it should be somewhat less than the dealer. Then maybe you can pick it up personally. Once at the site above, click on "Parts and Service," then "Buy Parts Online." The rest will be self-explanatory so you can get a price without any hassles. Looks like it will cost under $300 new at slhonda.

Second option: Are you sure there aren't junkyards dedicated to imports in your area?

Third option: If not, online junkyards have become big business. Many have search engines. I googled for a few hours last year and turned up several that resulted in finding the part I wanted. So it just became a matter of choosing the one with the best price.

I would start by contacting the folks at any online junkyard and asking about the shipping costs for a hood. The shipping costs might result in it being cheaper to purchase from your local dealer instead.

gave me great service and a fair price on a crankshaft pulley last year. Maybe call them and see what they think.

For a friend I searched for a used quarter panel (fender) recently, and indeed the shipping costs were so high that the cost was almost the same as buying from the local dealer. Fenders are pretty flimsy and have to be packed carefully for shipping. I suspect hoods might fall into the same category.

-- Honda home studies:

Elle

Check out "Import Center" in Hayward CA. It is a junk yard for Honda/Acura cars.

Evan Platt wrote:

Reply to
Oday