Lose your timing belt, lose your engine

Page 1 of 2
Watch out! Many Japanese products use timing belts with non-free running (interference) engines. When, not if, the belt skips or breaks, your engine and $8,000 is gone. Even if you get through the warranty period,
the resale takes a big hit because the word has got around.
Auto makers, heed this warning. The public knows gear, shaft, or chain driven single or double OHC engines are are safe design. Timing belt driven setups are not.
Suzuki is an exception. Their cars are okay.

Really? Japanese cars still have high resale values compared to their American competitors.

Really, now? Most members of the general public don't even know what a timing belt is.

Yeah, like you know.
Jeff
Jeff wrote:

Like it's not trolling to multiple post this in honda, toyota, nissan forums... Kind of like the number of post mid 90's model 4 cyl. Nissans offered for sale on web auctions here, where the owners claim that the timing belt has just been replaced...

Since when does a DOHC engine HAVE be a non-interferance design? Also since when does a timing chain solve the "problems" with belts? Ever heard of timing chain chatter?
SD
On Wed, 04 Apr 2007 19:43:14 -0400, Stewart DIBBS wrote:

Almost all the Toyota DOHC engines are Non-Interference. Most Toyotas now have DOHC engines, and I believe they are all chains now.
What happens with a stretched or broken timing chain? I have 110k miles on 2002 K20A3 and I had belted Honda before this. Still runs great and I guess it was kinda cool I didn't have to do or pay for the timing belt service. What's the downside and eventual maintenance of timing chain?

First the chain wears ie gets slightly longer, and the cam + drive gear teeth get worn as well. The chain starts to chatter, and the valve timing goes off a bit. Timing chains seldom if ever break unless the lubrication system fails, at which point the chain gets REALLY noisy. If left long enough, the lubrication failure may affect the cam bearings or even main or big ends. I've never seen a chain break on the old BMC A and B series, Ford Cortina 1500/1600 engines and an E-type Jag engine I worked on years ago. Just about everything else let go, but not the chain ...
An severely overreved engine would sometimes stretch the chain and throw the valve timing really off.
SD
MAT wrote:

#1 problem is chain stretch - that leads to cam timing issues and noise. belts are quiet, highly reliable within their stated mileage limit, and don't stretch. long term, you'll get more out of a well maintained belted engine than what is basically supposed to be an unmaintained chain engine.

Newer timing chains appear to be much improved. Several people in the Prius forums I frequent are right around 200K miles and have not had timing chain problems. There is no schedule for changing the chain, either. Disclaimer - not enough data for a positive answer yet.
Mike
Michael Pardee wrote:

well, chains work, but belts are a better technical solution. particularly for high performance engines - less momentum and angular velocity fluctuation.
don't forget, design criteria these days are all about life limitation and cheapness - chain wins on both counts.

I guess it comes to how well built the motor is, belt or chain. Fact is, Nissan VQ V6es are legendary, reliable timing chain motors. They just don't die. Even the SR20s, KA24s and GAs seem to hold up quite well. All timing chain motors. Honda and Toyota make great, long lasting timing belt motors.
CD
George Orwell wrote:

6 of one, 1/2 dozen of the other. I've had a timing gear fail, I've had chains fail, I've had timing belts fail. I kinda prefer the timing belts all in all, quieter, better valve timing. I've never seen a chevy V8 that didn't have a lot of slack in the timing chain after 80K miles.
Moe wrote:

I prefer gears. My 1964 Studebaker P/U 289 has over 300K and the timing is fine...
JT

I had a 1970 Volvo with timing gears. One day I was driving home from work and heard the unmistakable sound of a bad rod knock. I towed the car home and lifted the engine to drop the pan, then found... nothing. Huh. Pulling the crank through I heard the "bang" as plainly as I heard it while driving. Double huh. It seemed to be coming from under the timing cover. There I found the cam gear's fiber outer ring had separated from the steel core, and was lifting up and dropping every revolution... bang!
Mike
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 15:08:38 -0700, Michael Pardee wrote:

LOL! I would guess...264?
There were some Volvos that had PRESSBOARD timing gears! I spent an afternoon with a friend who got sick of replacing them and replaced it with a steel gear.

145. The odometer must have been about 260K at the time. I asked at the dealer if a steel gear was available, and he said he had one. He had sold it several times but it always came back because it was so noisy. Makes sense, I guess, and after thinking about it I figured the car wasn't likely to outlast the composite replacement gear.
Mike
On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 16:54:03 -0700, Michael Pardee wrote:

Yeah, it did sound horrible, but we never had to rip the front of the car off again!
Hachiroku ハチロク wrote:

Studebaker used a fiber (phonolic) cam gear and steel crank gear. Failure is almost unheard of at least before 300K. High performance engines were equipped with an aluminum cam gear.
Volvo was not the most dependable foreign car made. I can tell some horror stories...
JT
On Fri, 06 Apr 2007 01:05:55 +0000, Grumpy AuContraire wrote:

I had an 1800ES. Except for trying to KILL me, it was an OK car, but monthly maintenance required.
Michael Pardee wrote:

It can happen but not very often...
JT