Love my 2000 Accord, don't love the rust

I'm really happy with my '00 Accord Coupe so far, but I just found a nasty little spot of rust in a place I've never seen rust, on the front pillar of the driver's side door, under the weatherstripping. I guess there was an undetected leak in there for a long time before I got it. Anyone experienced this? Is it common? I guess I'm going to have to pull off the stripping and really clean it out in there.

Reply to
Pete from Boston

Pete from Boston wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com:

You sure will.

If your setup is anything like my Integra's, you'll have lots of rust starting under the stainless that holds the rubber on.

Use a Dremel with a drum sanding attachmenmt or a flap wheel. Do NOT use a wire brush. Wire brushes simply polish the rust while not actually removing it. Convert any remaining rust with a gel-type phosphoric acid-based converter. Clean off well with Prep-Sol or other body prep solvent.

Prime with high-build /ZINC/ primer, then cover with standard touchup paint. The primer and paint are best brushed on, not sprayed. Check ALL the screw points carefully, as they can ALL rust.

The sooner you get these, the better your chance of success.

Reply to
Tegger

I have the same on my '00 Accord Sedan.

Michel

Reply to
michelo

There is no way to prevent rust up there. That's one of the reasons I left years ago...

JT

(From Austin, TX)

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire