Lower Ball bearing

I have been hearing squeeky noises coming from the right side of car and I took it to the mechanic. He said the lower ball bearing was bad. When I push hard on the right side front fender i hear the squeeky
sound more. He said I should change both ball bearings. I drive about 80 miles a day. My question are:
What does the ball bearings do? How long more can I keep driving it before I fix it. Is this a big job? He wants $200 for the job? is that fair? its NYC. whats the worst that can happen? Is this a job I can do myself?
Thanks
On 27 Dec 2006 11:08:19 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com"

Hmmm...
I do not know what the lower ball bearings are. Could you have meant lower ball JOINTS?
US$200 to replace both lower ball joints sounds like a good deal to me
If the ball joints fail catastrophically, you could lose control of the car.
http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/lowerballjoint/index.html
Various bushings can also make squeaky noises, such as upper control arm bushings.
Hope some of this helps.
Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

could be squeeky (worn)shocks,too.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik