Lower Ball bearing

I have been hearing squeeky noises coming from the right side of car and I took it to the mechanic. He said the lower ball bearing was bad. When I push hard on the right side front fender i hear the squeeky sound more. He said I should change both ball bearings. I drive about

80 miles a day. My question are:

What does the ball bearings do? How long more can I keep driving it before I fix it. Is this a big job? He wants $200 for the job? is that fair? its NYC. whats the worst that can happen? Is this a job I can do myself?

Thanks

Reply to
naijainc

Hmmm...

I do not know what the lower ball bearings are. Could you have meant lower ball JOINTS?

US$200 to replace both lower ball joints sounds like a good deal to me

If the ball joints fail catastrophically, you could lose control of the car.

Various bushings can also make squeaky noises, such as upper control arm bushings.

Hope some of this helps.

Elliot Richmond Itinerant astronomy teacher

Reply to
Elliot Richmond

Elliot Richmond wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

could be squeeky (worn)shocks,too.