Lug nuts werent tightened??

My daughters boss changed a flat for her the other day. She got home with the spare but said it felt like it was wobbleing when she went slow but seemed ok on the highway. She drove about 30 miles on it. mostly highway.

I jacked up that tire and 4 of the 5 lugnuts were very loose. Only one was tight.

Now I cannot get that lugnut off..

Can I use a long breaker bar and snap the lugnut off?

Years ago I had a van that had a lugnut snap off and I was able to knock what was left out with a punch and replaced the lugnut. It pulled into place when I tightened it.

My concern is that if these are a tighter fit would you need a press to remove or install the new lugnut.

Or do you have any other ideas?

I cant go back to her boss about it!

Also I wonder if the wobbling tire could have caused any steering or suspension damage????

TIA

Steve

Reply to
comcastss news groups

yes.

would you say that if she'd had an accident and been hurt?

no.

just crank the nut off. if it breaks, replace it just like you say - you've done it before.

what you may encounter is damage to the other lug nuts if the wheel has been too loose. examine the threads. if they're damaged, the safe thing is to replace the hub [since replacing all 5 lugs is pointless and just as expensive]. if they're not, just keep driving.

if the remaining nut comes off ok, suggest you go to a junk yard and get a couple of appropriate lug nuts as replacements. discard the original, screw one of the replacements on and off a few times to clean up the thread, clean everything off with a wire brush, then refit the wheel using the second "clean" replacement in that position. you should be fine after that. use antiseize on the nut face, but not the threads unless it's still /really/ stiff.

Reply to
jim beam

Reply to
l390f

Use whatever force is necessary to remove the lug nuts. All the studs will need to be replaced - been there, done that. Check the lug nut seats on the wheel for cracks extending from the seats; if there are any, the wheel also needs to be replaced.

The damage shouldn't go any deeper than the wheel.itself and the studs.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

As an addition give your daughter a coarse on replacing a tire. It isn't that hard and any driver should know this simple task...

Reply to
Woody

Steve, try tightening up the other 4 lug nuts, then loosen them all each slightly. The stuck nut should now come off. Carefully inspect all her lug nuts. You may very well want to replace them all. I recommend you coat all her/your lug nuts in anti-seize compound. It will also help stop rust.

Later, Ralph

Reply to
Ralph Pardue