Made in China ... I'm pissed !

Page 2 of 6
wrote:

Mosadeq was an elected leader and not a torturer. Just don't go saying that we go to war for Democracy because that's plain bullshit. Everyone who was a problem for the profits of the wealthy was overthrown.

Driven by the almighty dollar, not the almighty.

Well put.

There was no "bait and switch" dopey. Did someone tell you that the tires were made in the USA and you then found you had been lied to? If you want "made in the USA" don't put politicians in office who drive American business out of the country with oppressive regulation and taxes.
On 10/07/2010 07:25 AM, rick sanchez wrote:

it's not simply regulation and taxes - china has a been deliberately undercutting at below cost to lure both labor and intellectual property. it works like this: china shows up on wall street and makes sure the stock market pressures american corporations to offshore to improve margins. then it shows up in d.c. to make sure there is no political opposition. then it shows up in the boardrooms of companies with key technology they're seeking and offers significantly reduced manufacturing costs with one significant but frequently unanalyzed caveat - you have to move your intellectual property out there also. which china then steals and uses against us.
example: motorola - a few years back, this icon of the u.s. telecommunications hardware industry was persuaded to move manufacturing to china via pressure from wall st. but china wouldn't grant them an operations license for their new facilities until they also moved over r&d. some members of the motorola board balked at this and voiced concerns but china's faithful wall st lapdogs pressured motorola to hurry up and move, and china "assured" motorola they'd benefit from access to china's high quality engineering graduate talent. so, the move was made. and each night for the first few months, all motorola's intellectual property walked out the door.
now look at them. on their knees, they're barely surviving in a market flooded with cheap chinese knock-offs of every communications device that motorola ever made.
it's not oppressive regulation and taxes. and it's not like china's aggressive theft program is a recent thing - it's been going on for 20 years, the lessons are obvious and clear, but nobody seems to want to be man enough to call it for what it is total retardation that we allow to continue.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 10/07/10 10:25, rick sanchez wrote:

Politicians? How about company execs?

This is a brave new world redneck. Globalization means goods and service are being transferred all around the earth. You won't buy a pure made in USA product ever again.
You do also realize "US-brand cars" are mostly made in Mexico nowadays right? You are contributing money to the political corruption and drug cartels every time you "buy American" cars.
On 10/7/2010 8:18 AM, Forrest wrote:

    You're laughable. You are complaining because you aren't smart enough to know what you are buying for your Japanese car. Are you finished high school yet?
On 10/07/2010 09:26 AM, Brian Smith wrote:

"Are you finished high school"???
doesn't look like /you/ graduated from one with grammar like that.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Yes, I are, thank you for axing. The salesman implied that they were made in America. I asked about another brand that they had called "Hancook" and was told that they were made in Korea. I then asked about the "Definity" and he says, "Oh, those are made by Cooper for Pep Boys", not adding that they are made in China. Cooper is a well known tire manufacturer in the U.S. and the first 6 "Definity" tires that I bought were made in the U.S., the ones on the Caddy just a month ago, so I thought that these would be as well. That's exactly what he wanted me to think. I can just hear how a sales meeting would go. "Just tell them that they are made by Cooper ... don't say a word about China unless specifically asked."
I agree, I should have pinned him down and asked what country they were made in. I posted so that others might learn from my mistake.
On 10/07/2010 02:45 PM, Forrest wrote:

have you tried taking them back? afterall, you /did/ ask, even if you didn't insist. talk with the manager.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

While I applaud your intentions to 'Buy American', you have unfortunately missed then boat.
We don't make nothin' no more. Jon
On 10/08/2010 10:16 AM, Zeppo wrote:

don't roll over and take it up the ass buddy. write your representatives and tell them to turn this shit around. no more american taxpayer dollars to corporations that export their jobs to china [g.m.] we need manufacturing to return to the usa. not only is it jobs, it's a matter of national security. if we don't manufacture, we can't either wage a war or defend our allies. if china invaded japan, and that's not unlikely, for how long do you think we could defend our ally? who do you think is going to stop shipping vital components for our systems, or worse, hack our existing systems, to prevent us doing anything to help?
bottom line, shipping our jobs and expertise to china kills us twice - economically and strategically. stop the rot - write your representatives today. they may listen to the money most of the time, but round about now, they're listening to their ability to get reelected. and they'll do whatever it takes - even pay attention to their real constituents.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 10/08/10 13:53, jim beam wrote:

Too late for this election cycle, IMHO.
On 10/08/2010 01:29 PM, Tony Harding wrote:

no, their sphincters are twitching right now and they're watching the polls hour by hour. if you /all/ write and they detect momentum, they'll be all over it. write today.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 10/07/10 17:45, Forrest wrote:

I doubt you rate that highly on their list of Things to Conspire About.

What a non sequitur ... that's the kind of statement that a bitch would make. Are you really so retarded to think that I was implying that they would have a conspiratorial sales meeting just to deal with ME ? Go back to your video games.
On 10/08/10 17:47, Forrest wrote:

I don't think that - you did.
On 10/7/2010 6:45 PM, Forrest wrote:

    Did you take English in school?

    Why are you so *Gung Ho* in trying to come across as an American Consumer, when you are outfitting a Japanese car?

Why are you so *Gung Ho* in trying to come across as an American Consumer, when you are outfitting a Japanese car?
"Did you take English in school?" You asked ... Yes, I did take English in school. My response was to your grammatical wizardry. I quote you:
"You're laughable. You are complaining because you aren't smart enough to know what you are buying for your Japanese car. Are you finished high school yet? "
>> Yes, I are, thank you for axing.
"Trying to come across as an American consumer"? I'm not trying to, I am. My Honda may have been designed in Japan but I assure you that it was made in the U.S.A. by Honda Corp. of America.
Why does it offend you so, that I prefer to support my country's economy by purchasing products that are made here, rather than those that are made in China?