Made in China ... I'm pissed !

Page 3 of 6
On 10/08/2010 04:40 PM, Brian Smith wrote:

a japanese car? made in america? from american components? that created american jobs? what about all that chinese crap you bought with a "chevy" label on it?
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 10/07/10 07:18, Forrest wrote:

I called you that or worse when I first saw it. Welcome to the 21st century, dude, *everything's made in China now!
Please define "insidious". Your post says a lot about you, you know.

You're pissed because someone sold you tires from China for your Honda?
The irony of it all is quite amusing.
On 10/07/2010 07:39 AM, clams wrote:

japan is a political and military ally that sells reliable quality and safe products from which we benefit. they also set up huge manufacturing operations here and keep americans employed.
china is an aggressive communist regime, bent on oppressing its neighbors, that thinks nothing of selling contaminated baby food, routinely steals american intellectual property, bribes american politicians to export jobs, deliberately lies about quality standards when seeking to export, and above all that, will deliberately flout united states law by sending thugs and political bullies to oppress tibetan freedom supporters ON AMERICAN SOIL. read that again: china's oppressive communist regime ACTIVELY AND AGGRESSIVELY OPPRESSES AMERICANS ON AMERICAN SOIL.
amusing little "irony"? you could not be more wrong.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum
<http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-hidden-hierarchy-in-chinas-industries-20100913-159bz.html?skin=text-only

Technically, I would say that China has graduated to an oligarchy under the premise of a communist regime. I'm not sure communism can exist in today's world in anything other than an ideological state.
I do like the idea of slapping incumbents out of office after one term. We all know that power corrupts....
On 10/07/2010 10:56 AM, Iowna Uass wrote:

read this: <http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-hidden-hierarchy-in-chinas-industries-20100913-159bz.html?skin=text-only
i have a number of american-chinese clients who do business there. they have confirmed - this article indeed true.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

<http://www.smh.com.au/business/the-hidden-hierarchy-in-chinas-industries-20100913-159bz.html?skin=text-only
That confirms my theory that China has become an oligarchy. True communism would not have the power in such a small fraction of the population. In this case 83 million members (as the article reports) to an estimated 1.4 billion citizens. I'm thinking that the actual number of decision making party members are much less than that. The fact that the ruling power has devised effective methods to control wealth and industry, combined with brain-washing at an early age will ensure that group will stay in power for a long time.

Reread the original posting. The poster was concerned about taking work away from a US worker - not a potentially reduced made-in-China quality. Granted, most products from China tend to have borderline quality and are typically made under "sweat-shop" conditions, but whining about providing a job to a Chinese worker for a part for use on his Japanese car is quite ironic.
On 10/08/2010 10:22 AM, clams wrote:

the two go hand in hand.

then you don't understand the big picture. of the two hondas i currently have, one was made in ontario, canada, the other in marysville, oh, both from majority american components. can you name a single chinese company that manufactures in the usa? and when was the last time japan executed dissidents or threatened united states security operations? do you know any taiwanese and know how china systematically undermines their independence? how about tibetan refugees? have you watched japanese political agents bully united states citizens on american streets like i've watched chinese???
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

and do you naively believe the big three Detroit companies primarily use US manufactured parts? And what percentage of Ford & GM cars are actually made (assembled) in the US?
On 10/08/2010 11:14 AM, clams wrote:

that's my whole point dude. they're importing from china at the expense of american jobs and manufacturing capacity, and at the taxpayers expense! as long as those companies are sucking on the american taxpayers teat, and they are with their lobbying for "cash for clunkers", etc., then they should not be allowed to ship their jobs overseas. period.
now, there is another side to this story, which is that domestic manufacturing has been stuck in the dark ages with great resistance to automation, but the bottom line is that arguments for outsourcing for so called cost reductions by moving to low cost labor markets are bogus. automated plant cuts labor costs as much if not more effectively. reality is, this is about union busting - no domestic manufacturing workers means no unions. and our political "representatives" have had this unspoken agenda for the last 20 years.
now, i'm no union lover. but destruction of our industrial base just so incompetent management doesn't get itself tied up in labor disputes is not simply retarded, it's almost treasonous. again, the "unintended" consequence of de-industrialization extends FAR beyond simple union management - it's killing [killed?] the nation's ability to secure or maintain our economic and military strength.
the german model, where management works /with/ unions, not against them, is highly productive. there are drawbacks, but the net result is that germany has a tremendously strong industrial base, is highly automated, and in reality, has economic and unspoken military muscle that awes. if germany ever wanted to go to war again, it could at the drop of a hat because it has the industrial base to do so, and none of its industrially weaker neighbors could stop it, even if they wanted to. why do you think the germans have been so peaceful these last few decades - they have the biggest stick on the block!
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 10/07/10 11:02, jim beam wrote:

Dude, take a pill & relax. Lots of countries/people are perfectly willing to do the things you accuse the Communist regime of, and the Tea Party morons running for office are happy to support them by calling for less govt, less regulation, etc. (I'm sure you know the rant as well as I do).
I am of the opinion that if China weren't Communist, we'd hear a whole lot less from you on this topic.
On 10/08/2010 01:34 PM, Tony Harding wrote:

sure, bury your head in the sand.
this stuff is real dude and it's on your back door step. i don't know how much economic loss and how much military threat do you need to experience before you start to understand the reality, but if you don't pay attention today, you'll be forced to pay attention tomorrow.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 10/06/2010 10:23 PM, Forrest wrote:

i think we need to start getting specific when buying stuff like this and tell the shop you won't buy anything made there. seriously - that kind of feedback filters through to management and eventually influences decision making.
personally, i'd have though that after the last few years of seeing the sides of our freeways strewn with shredded chinese tires that were recently legalized, it's time we stopped jeopardizing our safety and stopped buying that crap. and we should write our congress-critters accordingly. they legalized that stuff and that irresponsibility is potentially fatal. hold them responsible.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Hm, now I wonder where Michelin tires are made. Anybody knows? I'm about to get a new set.
On 10/07/2010 11:49 AM, Cameo wrote:

depends on the tire.
<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Exalto+A%2FS
right hand column.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

<http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=Pilot+Exalto+A%2FS
Got it, thanks. Many made in US and all in friendly countries. That's great!
On 10/07/2010 09:40 PM, Cameo wrote:

well, michelin aren't dumb. they have more money invested in their intellectual property than any other tire manufacturer, bar none. they're not going to just give it away to the chinese and let themselves be put out of business.
the fact that they're based in france and not being sold out by wall street probably helps their decision making too.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

That's why I was able to put 120 K miles in my current set of Michelin tires without a failure. I like the brand.
On 10/7/2010 3:49 PM, Cameo wrote:

    We have three Michelin plants here in Nova Scotia. They are shipped all over the world.