Made it through the Rockies

Thanks to all who assured me that we would have no problem with the Honda traveling East from Vegas through the Rockies. The 97 Outback (101,000 miles) and the 98 Accord (220,000) both made it ok. Both cars were down to

3rd gear through the Vail Pass and up toward the Eisenhower tunnel but we still managed to get up to 45mph, so we still passed the trucks.

We left Vegas Friday afternoon at 2:30 after they finished loading all our belongings and made it to Green River, UT at 9pm MDT. Left there at 5am and got to Kearney, NE the second day. Got to the new house in WI at 4pm on Sunday. As promised, the Bekins truck showed up Wednesday morning. Can't say enough good about them! Careful packing and unloading, nothing damaged.

Thanks all!

Reply to
Joe J

"Joe J" wrote in news:hskukp$cbh$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

Only 45? The grades were that bad? Or were there other factors keeping the speed down?

Reply to
Tegger

Not sure, both cars reacted the same at the 12,000 ft level. Both had to be down shifted and ended up in third. Both cars were packed, so a lot of extra weight. I was actually happy. As I stated before when we made this trip with my 81 Saab, we were down to 30 mph. High mileage and the damn reformulated gas could be factors. Anyway, I have no complaints, we made it!

Reply to
Joe J

Spell check got carried away and changed your sig.

Reply to
Joe J

Going over the mountains can be an enduring experience.

A friend who moved temporarily to Los Angeles (for a film project) had bought an '82 Civic FE in Austin and he average 50mpg but his car was loaded with necessities. I never did ask if there were specific problems in the mountains but he arrived OK.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Heh... Mine always tries to change it to, "egger."

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

"Joe J" wrote in news:hsoq9i$t32$ snipped-for-privacy@news.eternal-september.org:

I haven't "tagged" anything since my teen years...

You might want to change your spell-check settings to "suggest" changes only.

Reply to
Tegger