Main Relay Probs when Cold?

My '92 Acura fails to start sometimes. It will work fine for days, then one day it will crank but not start. Later, it will start fine. Research suggests a main relay problem except for one thing: this
problem seems to have nothing to do with the heat. The first time it happened was in late summer when the day was warm but cooler than it had been in a couple weeks (Washington DC summer). The second time was in the morning of a warm but not particularly hot day. Yesterday it was cold and rainy. There have been times when it's been far more hot and I haven't had a problem. All the "bad relay" information suggests this is a hot weather problem.
Should I pursue the bad realy diagnosis anyway? Any other suggestions?
Thanks, -Scott
On 10/05/2010 08:19 AM, SMcK wrote:

yes, pursue the relay anyway. hot weather syndrome is really at early onset. once "matured", this problem can occur at pretty much any time.
if you've done your homework, and it sounds like you have, you'll know what you're looking for if you take the relay out and pop the cover off. re-soldering or replacing a relay of your vintage is a wise precaution in my opinion, regardless of whether it's the culprit. if you do that and the problem persists, you'll have a much clearer path to diagnosis.
fyi, it's better to de-solder before re-soldering. when solder cracks and there is internal sparking, oxides form which remain in position even if you re-solder and it weaken the joint. removing all the old solder also gets rid of this crud allowing a full fresh joint to be made that should give you another 18 years service. or just buy a new relay.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Just realized that I typed Acura when I meant Accord. I'm not sure that makes a difference when it comes to this particulr answer.
-Scott
On 10/05/2010 03:11 PM, SMcK wrote:

nope!
--