main relay vs ignition switch while driving

Hi,

When there is a problem with the ignition switch the car can stop even after the engine has ignited. (I 've experienced that already!)

Can the same thing happen when the main relay has gone bad?

I am afraid my Honda Accord has a bad main relay. After (if!) the engine starts, is it dangerous to drive it? Can the car stop suddenly even while running, or a bad main relay basically affects only the ignition process?

Reply to
michalis0

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

Generally,ordinary body vibrations keep the main relay working once the motor has started running.(and that the car's interior is usually cooler once you have it running)

A bad relay affects the fuel pressure available;that's why the failure moded is often "starts then immediately quits,then only cranks,no startup,until the car sits for several minutes". The motor uses up the stored fuel pressure,then starves and quits because the fuel pump is not running,because the relay is not powering it.

The fuel injectors need a pressurized fuel supply rail.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

So if I understand well the car can die while driving, when there is a problematic main relay? (it affects not only the ignition process...)

TIA michael

Jim Yanik wrote:

Reply to
michalis0

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

No,it won't "die while driving". Not with the typical main relay failure mode.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

kindly indicate the model and age and mileage - it helps a lot in giving you the advice you seek.

usually, if it dies while driving, it's the ignition switch - main relays prevent starting, but not running, in my experience at any rate.

Reply to
jim beam

The main relay, IIRC, controls both starter and injectors... an intermittant one could most certainly affect running...

Reply to
Matt Ion

Matt Ion wrote in news:0d2Lg.502068$Mn5.43715@pd7tw3no:

When you are driving,the interior is not as hot as when the car has been closed up for awhile,and normal running vibrations keep the relay working. No one here has ever reported having their main relay cut out their car - while running-,only when it's been sitting,and more often in hot weather.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

-------------------------------

Precisely.

'Curly'

Reply to
'Curly Q. Links'

True enough, but just because no-one has reported it here doesn't mean it couldn't happen, or hasn't happened. The fact is, the main relay energizes the injectors, and thus COULD cause a problem with the car running. And if one is counting on "vibrations" to "keep the relay working", I'd be very concerned about vibrations keeping it FROM working normally as well - such a device in a car should be virtually impervious to vibrations, period.

Reply to
Matt Ion

Honda Accord '94, ~90K miles. I changed already the ignition switch!

Reply to
michalis0

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

I resoldered the main relay on my 94 Integra GSR about 4 years ago,no problems since.(hot/humid central Florida)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Then I shall be the first. Mine stalled in traffic years ago. The indications are the main relay shuts down prior to rpm going to zero. Had no "fuel pump" click from the relay when the car wouldn't restart. Most people don't report their problem because most don't know for sure. And most often, it happens only once in a blue moon.

One other note, this car never stalls in its 280k miles of lifetime.

Reply to
Burt

once you have it running)

I don't believe vibrations keep the main relay working once the motor has started. At certain rpm the vibration is hardly there. ...How did you come up with your conclusion?

Reply to
Burt

Such a relay should be designed to NOT be affected by vibrations, for good or bad.

Reply to
Matt Ion

come on matt, there's limits to that. vibrations at what frequency? what g's? how much do you want to spend? besides, it's not vibration that causes the solder to crack - it's thermal cycling.

bottom line, the relay /does/ suck, but then again, a sub $60 fix on a what is typically a >10yr old car is not that bad a deal. how much do you need to spend to get a domestic past the 10yr mark?

Reply to
jim beam

Don't be silly... I was responding to the assertion that the vibrations help to keep the relay working right. That's just silly - if a relay is RELYING on vibrations from the running car to work properly, it's either faulty, or a really poor design to begin with.

Or a combination thereof...

Reply to
Matt Ion

agreed.

the design's arguable. it's certainly cheap - one of the lowest quality components on the whole vehicle.

Reply to
jim beam

Matt Ion wrote in news:srHMg.537959$IK3.369846@pd7tw1no:

Actually,IIRC,the vibration stuff was Tegger's guess.

I believe it's that once the car starts and is running,the car interior (and relay)is cool enough that the solder joints/relay parts have contracted and make OK contact.I note that often after a 15 minute wait,a balky starting motor runs,and only fails after another heat soak.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

These components are of high quality. They're design to lasts maybe 20 years or more. The problem lies on the soldering process they use. Change the process and the problem is solved.

Reply to
Burt

The true question now is what is causing the joints to continue to make contact on a running car hours after a heat soak.

Reply to
Burt