maintenance light

I have a 2001 Honda Odyssey Van. I had my oil changed from honda a while back and they forgot to reset the maintenance light so it came on about 500 km later.
I checked the internet to get the steps to reset the maintenance light and it worked fine. It seems that the maintenance light does not come on letting me know that a oil change is due. The maintenance light does come on when the van is started. Can anyone suggest what I should do. I am thinking about dis-connecting the battery making sure that everything will then reset .
You need to have the codes read from the computer. You seem to be confusing the service light with the maintenance light. Autozones will read the codes for free and tell you what it means....