Major Service Intervals for '94 Civic EX

Page 2 of 2
wrote

*&^%$# This is repeated ad nauseam here. For the cheap DIYers, I want Tegger's response.
:-)
Others--

Plus I recall Jim Beam posting something about how certain models' water pumps could go forever, in his estimation.
Do not lecture me about rolling the dice. My 91 Civic maint repair experiences are less a pain and more an adventure. JT, I know you know what I mean.
Still smiling.
Elle wrote:

did i say that? honda pumps are very high quality, and the 305K crx i had i got cheap because the pump which had never been changed finally gave out, but that's not "forever".
i'm happy to just use inspection on my own vehicles, but i can get in there and do my own work. if you're paying someone else hundreds of dollars to do the job, $45 for a pump is immaterial so you may as well do it.

Elle wrote:
snip
My 91 Civic maint

I'll betcha that my maintenance tasks are simpler than yours!
How much work to change the alternator/AC compressor on your ride?
<GGG>
JT
message

Yes, no doubt. :-)

I have not done the alternator myself yet. I bet I have to place a jack strategically to get the necessary clearance, per others' reports on Hondas c. 1991.
No AC on my 4-banger.

That's basically what my guy says too. It's not worth cheaping out on the few extra bucks for the new water pump. I am also reminded that Honda water pumps tend to be driven by the timing belt, so seizures can be very costly.
Some cars are different, such as our '99 Tercel (this is the one with the 60K belt interval). In that car the water pump is driven by a regular accessory drive belt and is accessible without removing the timing belt. In that case you can risk extending the pump change interval.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Elle wrote:

90K on the water pump on any vehicle is pushing the envelope to a degree. On your (and others) car where the pump is driven by the timing belt, this is even more important.
On the old tin that I drive, the water pump shares the same belt as the alternator and is relatively easy to change but still is easier when the timing belt is replaced.
JT
Tegger wrote:

Just thought I'd jump in here with an update: the faxed receipts, which I sincerely hope were real, showed the water pump being replaced as well. I left a deposit on the car. It's got some minor cosmetic flaws, but zero rust and it's only $3k. Wish me luck.
mjc13<REMOVETHIS> wrote:

unless you have a genuine service record, you cant assume /anything/ was done on schedule. there's no reason why this can't be a perfectly fine vehicle but you must pay a price that reflects the need to spend money taking care of what's not definitely been maintained.
jim beam wrote:

I understand. I'll be looking at a fax of a dealer service stop, and making an offer according to what it still needs.