Malfunction indicator lamp

Hi everyone,
Honda Civic 2005, VP.
This light came on while I was driving. I had read the manual book (p. 201). I had check the fuel cap, it was there and tight. I had refueled my car,
about 24 hrs beforethis light came on.
So what could cause that problem? And what serious damage would be?
Please educate me. Thanks

Get the code read from the computer. The dealer, an independent garage or many parts stores.
Update info. to Seth and Michael,
This afternoon, when I was ready to go home, I started the engine, the MIL did not appear anymore. I thought something went wrong. However, I kept checking if it went back on again, from time to time, the light did not go back on again. all the way of criving home (about 45 miles one way)
As per your advice, I stopped by at a part store (Farm and Auto suppy store), to get the code, read from the computer. The code is P0706. ( I had read it from the equipment which is hooked into my car, under the dashboard, on the right hand side of driver seat, however, when the technician hooked this equipment to the computer system to print out its report, there is no code, no information on this report).
The techinician informed me that I should keep an eye if it comes on again then let him know. He also explained to me that because the light did not came on when he checked, therefore, he expected there is nothing wrong with my car. Do you have any ideas?
I had made an appt. with Honda (Greg May Honda in Waco, TX) on Monday, Sept 25, at 4Pm. So please advice me.
Thanks TA
Seth wrote:

P0706 Open in Transmission Range Switch Circuit
What that means, /I/ don't know, but whomever does I am sure will chime in. I gi\oogled for that code and found many lists that give that same 1-line description, but no further explanation.

The transmission range switch is on the side of the transmission and feeds a signal back to the computer as to which gear it is switched to. As you move the column control it moves the switch. It is possible some foreign material got under the switch and cleared when you moved the shifter. The switch also feeds the light showing the gear it is in. Observe those if it fails again. The parts tech's system may not have printed out anything because the mil wasn't on. However the code and all relevant information is stored in the freeze frame in the computer and can be accessed.

As Seth says, the code is necessary to really know.
How serious is it? As long as it runs okay, you can drive it around town as much as you want without worrying. There is a chance it is now running rich enough to damage the catalytic converter if you push it hard for long, so you want to avoid full highway speeds until you either find out what the code is or at least determine the fuel consumption is fairly normal.
Mike
The MIL went on about 24 hrs after I put gas into my car. So I expected the fuel cap is not the cause.
Even so, as soon as I saw the light, I stopped, untight then tight the fuel cap tightly (3 click sound). The light was still on (on my way home a day ago)
The next morning (today), I drove this car to work, the light was still on. Stopped by at a local gas station, a half way from home, to put more fuel into my car (just about 2 gallons), then tight the cap tightly. The light is still on.
Arrived workplace, it is still on.
The funny part is : As soon as I was ready driving home (45 miles one way) this afternoon, the light went off (like it was not on before), all the way of 45 miles.
Of course, this afternoon, the gas price dropped to 2.09/G, so I stopped to get more gas. After that, I recognized that the light was off. And it was off all the way, until I stopped at the auto part store for them to read the code, as per your advice. The technician did, the code is P0706 and nothing else.
1/ What this code means? 2/ What might cause the problems as I described above? Thanks a lot!