Manual shift on a 1985 honda accord LX

The only way to describe the problem is that the shift is erratic. Sometimes the stick slips right into gear but at other times I really have to jam it to get it to the next gear. Also, from When shifting into
reverse, the gears will often grind. I put a new clutch into it about a year ago, and I'm thinking I need to djust the cable, but the clutch begins to engage almost immediately after I begin releasing pressure. HELP PLEASE.

(instead of it being the same problem even if you push the pedal into the carpet), I think adjustment might take care of it for you. Start with that and run it by again if it still isn't right.
Mike
Three suggestions: Make sure your transmission lubricant is clean (has it been changed in the last 30K miles?) and filled to the proper level. If, when the clutch pedal is depressed completely to the floor and the gears still grind (are you waiting a couple of seconds before trying to put it gear?), then the clutch pedal very well may need adjustment. Finally, the mechanism that synchronizes the gears so that they mesh properly when shifting may be worn out. This one is the expensive option -- replace or rebuild the transmission.
JB