Manual Transmission !

Is there any truth to the old adage, "the grease that holds the engine together" ??
Upon asking him about servicing my manual transmission my mechanic
basically told me "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." He said that if I had been servicing the transmission REGULARLY then it would be recommended, but if it is long overdue yet running fine then just leave it alone.
Is he crazy?
Should I put new Honda MTF in the tranny, and should I do anything BEYOND that (have it cleaned/serviced)
Or should I leave it alone? It's running fine.
By the way my car is a 1987 Honda Accord DX hatchback with 140,000 miles, and I bought it 2 years ago with only 119,000 miles on it -- so I'm not sure if the previous owner was doing REGULAR tranny servicings.
Thanks for the help!
The maintenance schedule for this car does prescribe regular MTF changes. Now if you use the newer Honda OEM MTF, you can increase that a lot, IMO, and it does not cost you more. For my experience on this with my 1991 Civic, see http://home.earthlink.net/~honda.lioness/id20.html .
Lose this mechanic of yours.

On Tue, 02 Jan 2007 14:09:27 -0800, kobsef wrote:

Your mechanic is nuts. Or, perhaps, he'd rather you have a catastrophic failure to help him make more cash...
Either way, replace your tranny fluid. No cleaning, no flush and fill, just drain it and fill it. After the drain and fill, drive for a week, then repeat. Then drive another week, and repeat again. Now it will be pretty much like new.
Also, be sure you are using Honda MTF for your tranny. Do not use WD30, or Generic MTF. Pay extra, and get the OEM stuff from the dealer.
Joe LaVigne wrote:

not necessary with the stick, just the auto. you can drain 100% on the stick, you can only drain ~30% on the auto 'cos of the torque converter.

agreed.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

Yup.
--