Manual transmission life -- Accord 2013

Just curious what the expected life of the Accord's manual transmission is. I understand that it depends on the driver, etc. That is why "expected life".
I have had a Subaru one fall apart after 75 Kmiles, but the replacement went beyond 100 Kmiles .. and was still fine when I gave away the car. Looks like Subarus have a wide variation. How about Honda?
cr

I've never heard of problems with Honda manual transmissions.
A Honda 4 cylinder manual transmission car is about as bulletproof as you can get. But Honda has shown, once they go beyond that they're out of their comfort zone and abilities.
Anyway, I have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with manual transmission. It still shifts as smooth as the day it was built. 115K miles on it.
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:45:31 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

If you find an Accord with a manual transmission, it probably comes with a unicorn to tow you home in case you need it.
J.

2 doors, that's easy.
Oh, wait--4 doors, too. With leather, even. Just like the 2000 model I had.
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 08:26:08 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Well hey, I had one in 1987! But they've become rarer with each model change, last time I asked only available in silver (for the four-door and four-cylinder), might be one or two at dealers in Southern California in a given month, or zero. I think officially even the Acura TLX can come with one, no idea if it's any more common there anymore. I guess they harsh Honda's clean air stats or something, compared to the computer-controlled autos.
J.

You can buy a new Accord with manual trans, up to the EX model. But EX-L, EX-L V6, and Touring are all CVT.
It's a shame. Leather with a manual transmission is a wonderful thing. But I guess one could always go aftermarket on the leather.
On Sat, 29 Nov 2014 16:41:18 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

I dunno, the modern auto trans gets better performance and better mileage, what you gonna do? The engines are designed for the auto trans, or I'd want something with shorter stroke happier at high revs like in olden days.
Maybe some day, when we get electric valve actuators that are infinitely programmable, and manual trans and reving and stuff will produce cleaner air. Or course by then it will be robots driving exactly the speed limit and six inches from the bumper of the car ahead, while we cower in the back seats.
J.

I did find one in Dec 2012! Well, barely. It back to the old Ford days: You can have any colour you want as long as it is Grungy Grey or Sickening Silver ... and, by the way, the interior is black or black or black.
Last time with a black interior, though. Awful to maintain. So, perhaps, the last Honda.
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:45:31 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

Ah! The 2013 Accord is a 6 gear monster. So, not so good news? Let us just see ...

The transmission will last the life of the car, even if that life is 400,000 miles.
However, to achieve that longevity, you must do several things: 1) change the fluid according to the Owner's Manual, or sooner 2) use genuine Honda MTF (NO aftermarket fluids!) 3) don't speed-shift or force the lever into gear; give the lever time to drop into gear 4) for BONUS points: double-clutch your downshifts
--
Tegger

Hate car work ... I just take to the dealer. So, hopefully that is covered.

Ditto.

Yes, ...

Always.
But, I do indulge in some engine braking at fast corners and use some heel and toe. But, that is once is a rare while as it is not quite the car for that kind of stuff.

Engine-braking does not involve using the clutch as a brake.

Heel-and-toe does not involve using the clutch as a brake.
Ideally, the ONLY friction a clutch should EVER experience is when moving from a standstill. At all other times, engagement should be a simple press- and-release, with the mating surfaces meeting without movement relative to each other.
Do you want to get 250,000 miles out of a clutch? There's only one way to do that, and using the clutch as a brake is not it.
--
Tegger

Sorry, I got lost in the "clutch" thing, there.
So, just to clarify, neither engine-braking nor heel/toe have any deleterious effect on clutch longevity OR transmission longevity.
--
Tegger

Yes, I understand that bit. Just threw it in to clarify my driving habits.
thanks

+1
As Tom and Ray continually pointed out, brakes are FAR cheaper than clutches.
"Elmo P. Shagnasty" ( snipped-for-privacy@nastydesigns.com) writes:

True.
Totally irrelevant to Hondas... clutch trivia follows!
The original Austin Mini clutch could be burned out in less than 2,000 miles by a poor driver. A good driver would only get 30,000 miles... but a 'bloke' who was really good, could change-out a Mini clutch in LESS than 40 minutes! Two or three people properly organized, and operating as a well oiled team, ... 15 to 20 minutes tops!
There was NO EXCUSES for a bad clutch in a Mini.
a) the time for labor was real low on a complete change out (bearing, pressure plate, and disc).
b) the clutch part costs were also low, not a gouge like every other car in the world.
c) the only special tools necessary were a 3 ft long 2X4 and a sledge hammer! This to knock the flywheel off the 'tapered' crankshaft, via the starter motor hole.
d) if a team was used, the best golfer in the team would be selected to swing the sledge hammer.