Marvel Mystery Oil

I've heard good things about Marvel Mystery Oil. Just curious how it works since you can put it in the oil and gasoline tanks and does it work well still with newer cars, I have 05 Civic. Also, what's the best
time to put it in like early/middle/late life of oil for oil. And for gasoline empty tank then fill, or after full tank?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Don't do it. There is no need for additives in your Civic and it is quite possible for them to do harm. Your owners manual probably says the same thing somewhere.
You also don't need miracle spark plugs, toilet paper oil filters, magnetic fuel line magical gizmos or any of the other junk people try to sell you. Just leave all that stuff alone.
Use good quality fuel, name brand oil and change everything per the severe service schedule in your manual and you will be doing all the things required to maximize the longevity and economy of your new car. Maybe stick with the "Top Tier" rated gasolines if you want to feel like you are doing something special for your car (http://www.toptiergas.com /).
John

In my pappy's day, Marvel Mystery Oil was the bee's knees. Add it to your gas and your valves could last 100K miles or even more, and it could even reduce the engine smoke that was a sign of an engine that had 60 or 70 thousand miles on it. In case the valves were too worn, every shadetree mechanic was experienced at lapping valves.
Now if you have valve trouble it is an outrage. Today's engines, particularly Honda engines, do way better than that on their own. You should get 200-300 thousand miles out of your Honda before it gets too ragged, and the engine will still be smoke-free as long as you do the scheduled maintenance, including oil changes and tune-ups.
Since the engines do so well with just the ordinary stuff, I don't see any reason to add anything to the oil. Depending on the gasoline you get (even major brands occasionally have dirty batches) you may need injector cleaner or gas drier occasionally in the tank.
Mike
Marvel is still good as ever. Question whether or not you need it still is one that will always be asked. Some same that modern motor oils have all the detergent they need to keep modern engines clean, but I will say, I still use it in "used" cars that I purchase. Particularly those that were previously neglected. Due to possible sludge or other varnish build up, I'll do an oil change adding 20% MMO to the crankcase, along with the motor oil. In my most recent 88 Dodge Aries purchase, it took 1 pint of MMO, and 3.5 quarts of oil, for a 4 qt capacity crankcase. Ran that oil for 3000 miles, and the oil came out extremely dark. I had to top off the oil during that 3k twice, using about 1 qt of top off oil total. At the 3k mark, drained that oil and again, added another 1 pt of MMO and 3.5 qts of motor oil, and for that 3k OCI - no oil loss at all. Also noticed the oil was a lot lighter, not as "black" as previous.
Have also been adding about 4-5 oz. every fill up - the bottle states 4 oz. per 10 gallons, or 2 oz. of MMO per 5 gallons...this old gem is runnin like a top :)