meeting warranty requirements on brake fluid change

My 2010 Civic LX is just three years old, and I would like to have the brake fluid changed.
Can anyone give an opinion on whether the use of non-Honda brake fluid would
void the warranty?
I'm mentioning this because the local independent mechanics say they don't have Honda brake fluid but would use brake fluid that meets the service requirements for my car.

Honda uses industry standard brake fluid, per the specs in your owner's manual.
They do not use a proprietary brake fluid.
That being said, there are plenty of reasons to use Honda-branded parts and fluids. Not necessarily brake fluid, but others.
Brake pads, for some reason come to mind.

No, provided you use DOT3/DOT4 fluid.

US law mandates that an automaker may not tie a warranty to the use of the automaker's own parts and supplies. But the automaker /may/ tie a warranty to the use of parts and supplies that /meet the automaker's specs/, which in this case is DOT3/DOT4.
Honda's specified 3-year brake-fluid replacement interval is based on the use of Honda-branded fluid. Use of other fluids is beyond Honda's control because aftermarket fluids may or may not contain the same level of lubricants and other protective chemicals as Honda's OE fluid. That's why they'd /prefer/ you use their own branded fluid.
Personally, I use aftermarket DOT3 fluid, the house brand of a local auto parts place. But then I also replace the fluid every year, so I'm insulated from most of the deficiencies of the aftermarket fluid.
--
Tegger

On Monday, June 24, 2013 3:38:12 PM UTC-4, Ivory123 wrote:

have Honda brake fluid but would use brake fluid that meets the service requirements for my car. Thank you.