Mercon 5 = Honda Z1 ATF ?

Hello
I have a 2004 Honda Civic and would like to change the ATF fluid.
The owners manual lists Honda ATF Z1, so I guess I need to go to the dealer?
I was at Walmart today and I saw Mercon V ATF and on the bottle it mentioned that it meets Honda Z1
Is this ok? Or do I need to use the Honda fluid?
Is there a big deal, I don't want to do anything foolish, however I don't want to pay extra for Honda ATF unless I have to.

Well, let's see.
Someone wants to sell you something. Not only that, they want to catch your eye, so they make it so they can sell it with a CHEAP price tag.
At Walmart, no less.
And then they claim it meets Honda's specs.
Hey, Roseanne Barr is a woman. Just like Paris Hilton. Really. I can get a doctor to certify that.

Gotta tell ya' dude-- neither of those two would fit my definition of what a woman is....

yeah, well, me either--but you get my drift...
Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

snip
Yeah, but I wouln't touch either...
<G>
JT
You can top off you trans fluid with Mercon V, but if you put a guart or more you need to use Honda ATF.