Mighty Honda Civic

I busted an axle. Not the CV joint, the actual axle. From a standing start in a parking lot, without much throttle, trying to keep the speed down. Who says they don't have any torque? Well, I admit, it was a B16
engine, and it does have a loud exhaust and an $80 aftermarket oiled gauze intake filter. I guess that's what did the trick.
snipped-for-privacy@snail-mail.net wrote:

no, metal fatigue did the trick. it either had a defect from factory or was damaged in a way that initiated fatigue cracking.
and that "filter" lets in way more crud than you'd think. you're cutting 50% or more off your engine life. unless you race, and want to win, and can afford new motors regularly, that filer is costing you /way/ more than $80.
jim beam wrote:

Yeah, if you think about it, in order for a filter to get xxxCFM higher than an AC Delco, or whatever, that means that the pores have to be larger. The larger the pores, the more likely something will get through the filter, even if it's only 100 nanometers in size. You multiply the number of those tiny particles by several quardrillion over the life of your car, and how much gunk do you think could accumulate in your combustion chamber? Is your filter K&N or a copy-cat?
(the following is directed to jim beam) Speaking of K&N filters: K&N is supposed to have the highest airflow with no dust escape as shown on their website:
http://knfilters.com/images/factstab1.gif
http://knfilters.com/images/factstab2.gif
Are they lying about what's in the "Comments" column?
Jonathan
Jonathan Upright wrote:

two questions:
1. what is "coarse" dust axactly? - just something that they know is larger than their pore size?
2. what is "weight gain of absolute"? do they mean absolute weight of dust fed?
just throwing a percentage out there doesn't mean a thing unless it's compared to other filters. istr an article cited here some months back with filter test comparisons - it showed these aftermarket filters in a pretty bad way.

After seeing this, I resolved (more than before) never to ever use a K&N on any engine I wasn't racing: http://home.usadatanet.net/~jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
Wow! I've been buying K&N's for years.

TeGGeR wrote:

excellent! i was looking for that. will you please keep a link on your site? thanks tegger.

I should add that, yeah. Do it in the morning.
--
TeGGeR

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
TeGGeR wrote:

If I could do it in the morning, I wouldn't need the K&N.

TeGGeR wrote:

What I'd like to see is a chart of silicon in the oil, from an oil test. Used to get them, occasionally. Does anybody still do them for a reasonable price?

Well,you either need larger pores,or -more filter area.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Jonathan Upright wrote:

I don't think the K&N bills itself as getting more airflow than the stock when clean; at least for the Honda, they tout the ability to not clog when loaded with gunk. I do wonder how much stuff gets in, and what the significance is. I remember those old oil bath air cleaners on the updraft carbs. I think nothing ever got as much dust out of the air as those.
snipped-for-privacy@snail-mail.net wrote:

heheh... got rice?
Virus Database (VPS): 0535-3, 09/02/2005