MIL questions

Hondarinos:

This is a follow up to my P0420 catalyst code. Luckily the Honda dealer confirmed the malfunction and a new cat. has been ordered and covered with the 8/80k emissions warranty. So now my MIL lamp is cycling on and off, in about ~100 mile intervals. Ideally I would drive another car but this is my only one and I need to get to work every day. Is this the kind of MIL that puts my car in limp mode? Can I aggravate anything by driving it this way? I don't feel any problems with drivability but I've been keeping it ginger with the MIL glaring at me. I need to keep driving and I even had vacation plans for a long weekend. Can I drive ~600 miles with the MIL? Thanks.

Reply to
MAT

"MAT" wrote in news:q_SdnWdzFvB6Va snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Since the cat is going to be removed anyway, don't worry about it.

About the only thing you'd ever damage in the short term is the cat itself, and even then only if the engine is running extremely rich with a gross failure of some kind.

What I *would* do is to go back to the dealer and make sure the code stored is still P0420, in which case it's the old error come back again. As far as I know, the engine does not go into open-loop with a P0420 code.

Reply to
TeGGeR®

Thanks Tegger, makes me feel better about driving around. I have been extra observant of running conditions, fuel economy is still consistent and there is no extra soot collecting in the tail pipes. On other car boards, the racers with high flow cats and no cats live with the code day to day, I couldn't stand the constant MIL, doesnt feel good at all!

Reply to
MAT