Mileage ?

2001 civic. I cleaned and oiled the K&N filter and have gotten poor mileage since then. Is it possible to over oil these and slow down air flow. I also had to drill out th three front screws that hold
down the air cleaner cover an replaced with nut/flange bolt config and got the cover secure again, I assume this would not be the problem?
it is possible to overoil. oil gets into the throttle boddy and coats sensors that aren't supposed to be oily. take it out and clean it.... better yet switch back to OEM.
I ran a K&N filter charger on my 98 civic from about 70000kms til now (285000kms). I don't think its caused any big problems on my car (compression on my cylinders is all within factory spec), but there are plenty of studies out there that show a K&N allows more particulate through which can cause premature wear. I live in a climate that is frozen for almost 1/2 of the year, so I think that may help in keeping particulate down, hence why my car shows next to now wear.
the screws are a common problem with this model.
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

What would be the best way to clean up the throttle body?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

<crossposted to other group>
Toothbrush, lint-free rag, throttle body cleaner.
Put brick on gas pedal or something to keep pedal on floor. Spray cleaner on brush, then scrub all traces of carbon from all surfaces in throttle body. Dry off brush. Wrap rag around brush, use that to wipe away scrubbed carbon. Repeat until shiny clean everywhere. Do not spray into orifices in throttle body.
Remove brick. Start car. While car is idling (COLD), spray cleaner into TB orifices in a few short bursts, allowing the engine time to stumble and recover. Too much may drown it.
Check for oil in air cleaner hose. If present, spray copious amounts of cleaner down it to get rid of the oil. Let dry (do not wipe!), reinstall.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in

You posted this independently to two different groups. Learn how to crosspost properly.
This is what I said in your other group:
It IS possible to over-oil it and foul the throttle body, the idle air control valve, the intake air temperature sensor, and the fast idle thermo valve. These are critical components and are very expensive to replace.
Why on earth would you put such junk on your car in the first place? Because it looks "kewl"?
Check out this test: http://home.stny.rr.com/jbplock/ISO5011/SPICER.htm Once you read this, you'll want to hastily retreat to the safety of OEM parts.