Mileage report on 2013 Accord

Really improved!

Just got a full tankful-measurement, 13 gallons and 420 miles, over

32mpg on mixed driving. On my 2010 I never beat 30mpg. So that's easily a 10% improvement.

On a 20 mile mostly freeway drive in light traffic from Calabasas to West LA (and a very light foot, but NOT the "econ" button) the mileage widget gave me 44mpg door to door! That does include losing about 300 feet of altitude, but it also includes going over Sepulveda Pass, gaining about 400 feet to lose 600 (all estimates - too bad they don't include an altimeter in the widgets!).

Even so, the urban-driving mileage is dreadful, and I suspect it is worse than the 2010, but it is more than made up for by the improvement in highway mileage.

What it is, is the car hates acceleration, but with the CVT it is better on coasting even at freeway speeds, but you have to take your foot very nearly OFF the gas, if you try to give it just a little as has been my habit, the mileage widget says you are losing. If the widget is accurate, then I think Honda needs to tune the drive train a little more, ... maybe I should try the sport mode, I think it would involve not spinning the CVT down at every opportunity.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

Update:

I confirmed mileage on this route again both ways, at somewhat higher speed. Coming down from Calabasas at 70+ instead of 60-, I got about

41mpg door to door (had to take a short detour so not exactly the same).

But here's a thing, going the reverse direction, gaining those 400 to

600 feet, guess what the mileage was not as good! Got about 28mpg going uphill, averaging 70+mph. So combined, 41+28/2 = 35mpg. Still pretty darned good.

I'm surprised that the modest elevation rise has quite this effect over a twenty mile route, but these are the numbers.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

don't be. depending on trim level, that vehicle weighs 3200-3600 lbs. lugging that kind of weight up a hill sucks gas.

Reply to
jim beam

Update:

I confirmed mileage on this route again both ways, at somewhat higher speed. Coming down from Calabasas at 70+ instead of 60-, I got about

41mpg door to door (had to take a short detour so not exactly the same).

Seems like an improvement over my 06 I4 Accord Coupe. A recent 800 mile trip from GA to PA resulted in an average of 35.5 per gallon -- with 100k on the clock.

But here's a thing, going the reverse direction, gaining those 400 to

600 feet, guess what the mileage was not as good! Got about 28mpg going uphill, averaging 70+mph. So combined, 41+28/2 = 35mpg. Still pretty darned good.

I'm surprised that the modest elevation rise has quite this effect over a twenty mile route, but these are the numbers.

J.

Reply to
tww1491