misfire problem

i have a 92 prelude 4ws that i just finished replaceing valves and timeing belts after everything was put back together it would only fire on the 1st and 4th piston and misfire on the 2nd and 3rd any ideas of how to correct this

Reply to
carjunkie05

Are you 100% sure the spark plug wires for #2 and #3 are not swapped? If that's good, check the compression in the cylinders. If #2 and #3 are very low, the cylinder head will have to come back off :-( and the head checked for flatness. At the least, low compression in the center two cylinders means the head gasket didn't seal between the two.

Come to think of it, if the compression is very low on those two you can try retorquing the head (only because the gasket is newly installed - you didn't re-use the old one, I hope). Make sure you follow the torque pattern and procedure closely. It is a desperation move, but so much easier than taking the head back off.

Mike

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

mike i checked my compression and i am loseing my pressure though the head gasket i already had the head checked for flatness so i must have a faulty headgasket. i?m gunna get another one on tomarrow and see how things go from there thanks a bunch

Reply to
carjunkie05

I just have to ask so don't take this wrong, but are you sure that you're torquing the head bolts in the proper sequence?

Eric

Reply to
Eric

what makes you sure it's the gasket? burnt valves give gasket-like compression symptoms, but no leakage into the coolant. cracked heads/blocks give gasket-like symptoms, so much so that they're indistinguishable without detailed crack detection.

there comes a point where it's uneconomic to repair the motor - especially when you can buy a low mileage used motor from japan for a relatively modest sum.

Reply to
jim beam