Mixing different brands of coolant

Page 2 of 2
On 03/20/2012 08:09 AM, Tegger wrote:

it reduces it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boiling_point

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

Not too much good for me then. I need a mix of around 70/30 or so to get the freezing point down around -70F ....

the combination should lower the boiling point....

Only if you want to wake up alive the next morning and can see... Thanks for the info....DaveD

Where the hell do you live?
Where I live it's never gotten any colder than -20F, so the -35 stuff works just fine.
There may be a special Honda antifreeze sold in your area. Check with your dealer.
Mine is "Type 2". Honda may have other formulations that may be known as "Type 1", "Type 3", etc.
--
Tegger

On 3/21/2012 2:15 AM, Tegger wrote:

I just stopped by a Honda dealership and checked what kind of antifreeze mix they carry with the Honda label here in the Seattle area. Well, this one has a temp rating of -34 to 268 F. I also checked the makeup of the coolant. Besides the 50% water, it contains ethylene glycol, diethylene glycol and 30 ppm bittering agent. Anybody knows what that last ingredient is?

I know, it's Sea Cucumber!
Oh, wait. Sorry. I thought this was Iron Chef...
--
Tegger

On 3/21/2012 5:11 PM, Tegger wrote:

Seriously though ... I assumed that Honda's antifreeze would also contain some rust inhibitors or such, not just the two kibds of glycols. Prestone brand also has those two glycols, plus some other ingredients, such as: sodium 2-ethyl hexanoate and sodium neodecanoate. They don't list any bittering agent but perhaps the last two will do the job.
.

Where are you getting the indgredients? From the MSDS?
You should be aware that proprietary ingredients are usually left off the MSDS and other publicly-published documents for competitive reasons, so you may not be seeing eveything that's in there.
--
Tegger

On 3/22/2012 6:28 AM, Tegger wrote:

It's right on the 1-gallon jug.

On the other hand, there may be a need for the public to know in case some people drink it or in order to dispose of it properly. It's listed under the big WARNING heading. Of course I don't know what other things they left out from disclosure.
On 03/22/2012 11:31 AM, cameo wrote:

the chemical disclosure/safety principles that were envisioned by the msds system have been completely politically eviscerated. they're pretty much meaningless as, just like tegger says, all a manufacturer has to do is say the contents are "proprietary", and they don't have to disclose a damned thing. and what they do disclose can be completely obscured by legally using non-uipac nomenclature, and obscure or even misleading nomenclature at that.
which is completely ridiculous since any facade of "trade secret" is made a mockery by any halfway competent chem lab, so the only "secrecy" is that of deceiving the public, not any industrial competition.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

A bittering agent is soemthing they add to the coolant to try and keep dogs and other animal (including people I suppose) from drinking the coolant. It is probably Denatonium Benzoate.
See:
http://www.usmayors.org/usmayornewspaper/documents/06_07_04/bittering.asp http://www.bitrex.com/index.php?page
Ed

North Pole Alaska...About 15 miles southeast of Fairbanks....The coldest I have seen at my place was -72F...But, at -50F when driving at 60mph the coolant in the radiator can freeze even with the mix set down to -60F. It will freeze at the bottom and be liquid at the top....

Wow. I've never experienced cold like that, and I hope I never do.
I guess nobody up there has a backyard swimming pool, huh?
Your local dealer has /got/ to sell a Honda-branded mix that's meant for your climate; Type-2 clearly will not do.
--
Tegger

Believe it or not there are some backyard pools here...They are all the above ground type so they can be drained in the fall... Our average summer temp is about 74F but we have days, not uncommon, with temps up in the 80s and 90s...Low 90s albeit.....To my way of thinking it is a waste of time and money for only several days use a year....But the kids seem to enjoy them....

I have been using my own mix in my 86 Civic and it has done OK...Don't drive it much in the winter for the past several years...I guess maybe I'm babying it too much...Should use it more I reckon... DaveD
On 3/19/2012 1:55 PM, Tegger wrote:

Nor do most people, IMHO. I wish this subject would have come up a few days earlier before I bought a jug of O'Reilly store brand antifreeze mix to keep it handy for occasional refills. Now I have no idea if it's compatible with the coolant that is already in the system.

I admit I'm not up on the latest but it used to not matter. I can't imagine it's that big of a deal tho of course I think not mixing is better but sometimes it's unavoidable or could make matters worst in extreme (emergency) situations.