Mobil 1 5W-20 Prices?

Anyone seen any good deals on Mobil 1 5W-20? Best around here is $5.98 Qt. This sucks as you can get 5W-30 for $4.99 at costco.

G-Man

Reply to
G-Man

Tom Wallace

-----------------------------------

The 5W-30 is perfectly OK to use in any HONDA. The 5W-20 specification has more to do with the CAFE specs than anything. No?

'Curly'

Reply to
motsco_

Supertech full synthetic at walmart is about $14 for 5 gal jug at walmart. I used to buy mobil whan it was $3/qt, but at $5-6 it's just a huge ripoff. they have ammortized their R&D cost, but are riding the brand recognition retaining stratospheric margins.

Reply to
isquat

Also what I thought, but have used 5w20 M1 in an '05 2.4 Accord. Does anyone know if this engine is used in the Acura line anywhere, with 5w30 specs?

-Dave

Reply to
Dave L

Don'tcha mean a 5 quart jug?

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

Grumpy AuContraire wrote in news:BE09i.55425$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

I'm in Canada, of course.

Do you know what we now get up here?

A 4.4L jug.

That's right, four point four liters. What the hell is that?

It's not 4 quarts in either system. It's not four-and-a-half in either system. It's not 5 qts in either system.

It's not a gallon in either, either.

Up here we have an astonishing number of retail items that have their labels converted directly from Imperial to Metric just to make the gummint happy: A 28oz soup can is given as 796mL; a pound of butter is called 454g. A 20oz soda bottle is 591mL.

But where on earth did the oil companies get 4.4L from?

The 4.4L thing only started about a year ago. Prior to that we got something labeled "3.78L", which was exactly one US gallon. Paint, windshield washer fluid and a lot of other stuff is still sold in gallon sizes but is labeled "3.78 L".

The one-gallon size was great for me. Since my engine takes just a smidge under a gallon, I could just dump the whole thing in and be done with it. Now I have to drain off a dozen ounces or so and put it someplace for storage.

W, as they say, TF?

Reply to
Tegger

Yep, just like when going to the supermarket, they've changed the freakin' layout! Or... The original 1/2 gallon of ice cream has now shrunk to 3 pints.

Ya gotta luv 'em all!!!

Grrrrrrrr

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

yes, 5 qt. thanks About $2.80/qt vs $6/qt for Mobil 1. I guess the savings are really miniscule if you change synth every 7500 miles and keep the car for 150000 miles it's just $3.20x4qt x 20 oil changes = 256 bucks saved if the car takes 4 qt. If yours take 3 as mine do than it's just $196 of savings which is just 1.28% of the original car cost. Unless you're keeping a car for a million miles there are hardly any savings. But, then, i'm not sure how much of an advantage there is of mobil 1 vs a joe schmoe synthetics.

The thing is, oil filters are marginally cheaper @walmart as well and i want to leave enough of mobil 1 for porsche&bimmerphiles. it's a socially responsible thing to do :)

Reply to
isquat

The problem that I have with using synthetic rather than a quality dino oil in engines are the suspension of particulates typically generated by the combustion process.

Most quality dino lubricants such as Castrol will easily go 7K (miles) between changes without degradation but I would change the filter one time during this interval.

OTOH, synthetic in transmissions, differentials etc. can see dramatic improvement in function and component life.

But, Honda requires ONLY their own product in later models for these tasks so the options are limited.

That's why I'm stickin' with my ancient '82 & '83 Civics where I can take advantage of superior lubricants.

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

innews:BE09i.55425$ snipped-for-privacy@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net:

Oh, well, that's 99.187799506 jiggers.

????? Synthetic if anything degrades slower than dyno oils and flushes more crap out of the engine while at it, so it will look dirtier during at least the first oil change. Is that what you refer to by "degradation"? i drive relatively inexpensive cars so this is splitting beans. On a $30k beemer or a $70k porsche that would make a ton of a difference.

Reply to
sndive

This is possible but you get what you pay for.

Can you really believe Walmart oil is as good as Mobil 1 ? who have a reputation to protect?If it is made by Mobil I would say yes but

In any case I buy MY Mobil1 5w30 gray cap at Walmart for around $23.00 US and change.(4 quarts)

I use the yellow cap at $27.00 US in the winter . According to the Mobil label its good for 15,000 miles

However having said THAT~!! I change my oil and filter twice a year, spring and fall, even though Mobil says I can go 15,000 miles with yellow cap ? I am from the old school and believe that changing oil gets rid of any contaninants, that dont burn off.

Before synthetic ,I used to change my oil and filter about every 4000 Kilometres especially in the winter .

Yes ,I know, over kill,(dino oil is cheap) but you know what ? I never ever had a motor problem in my Accords

All I ever did was adjust the valves when necessary

I had 315,000 on my `86 when it was totalled .(by a 72 year old retard )

I drove across Montana in the days of the prima facie speed limit, at over 110 miles per hour ,(set the cruise) hour after hour, and used it as my daily commute when I got home.(`86 accord 4 cyl.) Not one problem

I thnk this is an indication of Honda quality as well as the frequent oil changes.

Oil is the cheapest maintenance you can do on a car and if you pay US $20-30,000 for a car do you really want to skimp on oil ?

mred

Reply to
mred

Hence, more suspended particulates which in turn contribute to wear.

Using synthetic oil in internal combustion environments is a waste of money IMNSHO...

JT

Reply to
Grumpy AuContraire

yes i honestly believe that supertech synth and dyno are plenty good and having bought mobil 1 for $3/qt 5 years ago i refuse to pay $6/qt. to me it's just the money wasted on a big fat oil company ripping me off in every way imaginable after R&D has been paid for long, long, long time ago.

WalMart has a reputation to protect also. SuperTech is the walmart brand.

a lot of the crap emds up in synth. it has much better purgatory effect than dyno. or so i've heard.

nor would you have had any if you were to use a dyno. extended (for hours) cruising near redline with dyno is no problem. just watch the oil level at the gas station and top off if any is gone. been there done that: no problems with dyno.

i do not consider buying supertech synthetic skimping on oil. it's good enough for a car under $20k. the motor would outlast other car system even if you use dyno. synthetic is just for extended periods between the oil changes.

Reply to
isquat