more prius questions

Page 2 of 3
wrote:

newer cars(since 1996) have OBDII,and there are "black box recorders" that can plug into the OBDII port.
Many newer cars do record certain parameters,but they're more oriented towards crash evaluations,and can be subpoenaed by courts and the evidence used against the driver.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 03/15/2010 04:54 AM, Jim Yanik wrote:

yeah, we need much more of that! we should all have wireless data transmitters uploading our exact gps location and our speed so we can save all those poor hard working highway patrol officers from having to manually write tickets - each time you speed, you get a ticket automatically from the national speed limit enforcement bureau.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 03/15/10 10:25, jim beam wrote:

<snip>
Is there enough data available to reconstruct various failures? My sense is that there isn't, thus the suggestion for an aircraft style block box.

Your cell phone will do, thanks. :)

No such thing (or are you speaking hyperbolically?)
On 03/16/2010 11:48 AM, Tony Harding wrote:

no, prophetically. it's possible to do this now - the only question is whether the second amendment will be revoked before it's implemented.
--
nomina rutrum rutrum

On 03/16/10 23:33, jim beam wrote:

"Prophetically"? <in my best Inigo Montoya voice> I don't think that word means what you think it means. :)
IIRC it still takes 3/4 of the states to ratify a new amendment and make it part of the Constitution - repeal/revoke the 2nd? Not in my lifetime or yours - time better spent worrying about being hit by lightning or attacked by a great white shark.
wrote in

the path for negating the Second Amendment is thru the UN's Small Arms Treaty; once the treaty is signed and ratified accepting UN Gun Control,our RKBA will be taken away. Obama has said he will "work with the UN" on the Small Arms Treaty. Obama is anti-gun.(Per his established voting record)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 03/24/10 08:53, Jim Yanik wrote:

Noticing a lot of black helicopters these days?
I stand by my original post.
wrote in

right out of Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.

you stand blind. "it'll never happen"... we're seeing stuff right now that people thought would never happen in the US.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
On 03/26/10 09:03, Jim Yanik wrote:

Who?
Well, that's true enough.
wrote in

Man,WHERE have you been? Are you a hobbit? HOW could you have not heard about Saul Alinsky or his Rules for Radicals? (Obama's a celebrated disciple of Alinsky.) DAGS.
Wake UP.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

All he did was shake his head at the cop. That could mean a number of things.

All you know are the TV reports, which will be found later on to be full of omissions and errors. Guaranteed.

Well you thought incorrectly.
All Priuses with regenerative braking have /always/ had the brake override.

You have no idea if the driver had been braking hard immediately prior to the alleged acceleration incident.
If you have ANY idea of how a Prius works, you'd know that what the driver alleges is impossible.
The Prius has regenerative braking. The system not only applies the regenerative brakes when the brake pedal is pressed, but ALSO kills power to the engine. It would be senseless to have it any other way, since the regenerative braking would be negated if power were applied at the same time.
In addition to the above, the stop lamp switch acts as a backup, so if for some reason the regen system doesn't kick in, current through the stop lamp circuit tells the PCM to kill engine power on its own.
The driver SAID he tried to put it in neutral and the shifter would not move. This is also impossible.
Too many things would have to fail for the car to actually be impossible to stop. The driver is lying.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

specifically, it kills spark and gas. At that speed, the engine itself is in fact turning. At any speed over 42mph, the engine must physically turn--that's inherent in the design.

OK, to be more specific... when the PCM sees both throttle and brake, it shuts off the injectors, which is how it "kills power". The engine may still be turning, but it is now a drag on the car, not a power source.
I'm not too sure the PCM kills the spark as well. Spark is normally left running so as to retain the ability to be able to pulse the injectors in order to prevent O2-poisoning of the cat.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

In this report.
Again, in the other report, it stated he refused for (bogus) reason.
Still, y'all have convinced me, this one at least was probably a hoax.
J.

I remember the original Audi 5000 case, where the lady ran over her kid. 60 Minutes interviewed her, and she said she was most definitely on the brake and not on the gas, and that the car was clearly defective. This was reported without question by 60 Minutes and the rest of the hysterical media. The problem was, that same lady had previously admitted to the /cops/ that she'd mistakenly been pressing the GAS. 60 Minutes didn't bother including that little nugget in their smear episodes.
I'm not sure this Prius incident is an actual hoax. But what it is, exactly, will come out in the next few months, after everybody has lost interest in it. Keep an eye on the magazines, and on the back pages of the newspapers.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

I have a feeling that with all this bad publicity for Toyota, every accident with their cars will immediately branded as another instance of malfunctioning pedals. I can imagine all the scrambling at the offices of many of the ambulance chasing lawyers to get a piece of the action.

I'm listening to a radio report of an interview with driver, he was afraid to try the shift, afraid to take his hands off the wheel, yada yada. Though he was fine talking on the phone - holding a phone?
Especially if indeed the Prius has the override, no way this is not a hoax.
Apparently the guy has some record for various frauds.
J.

I haven't kept up with this guy but I recall they said he was a realtor. Maybe he was trying to get free air time at the cost of Toyota? Nothing would surprise me.

There's a LOT more to the story... <http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/2010-03-12-prius12_ST_N.htm?csp4
And more will come out as time goes on.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100313/ap_on_re_us/us_runaway_prius
yah. bogus. but these are the reports I saw/heard about him refusing to even try to shift to neutral or kill the ignition.
and articles do confirm the override on gas/brake, like you said.
J.