more prius questions

Page 3 of 3
On 03/13/10 08:59, Tegger wrote:

Just read it - he owes $115,000 on 16 CR cards, plus he's had his Mercedes, Dodge, boat, etc, repossessed -- anyone who's watched Law & Order knows the financials tell all. The guy doesn't have a prayer IMNO.

Not just that, but he Prius is his only remaining car, and he is scheduled to return it shortly, at which time he will not be able to get a new lease or car loan. The truth comes out in what he's asking for. He's not suing Toyota, he just wants them to give him a NEW PRIUS...
--
Joe - Linux User #449481/Ubuntu User #19733
joe at hits - buffalo dot com

He is not suing, yet he's got a lawyer. How can that deadbeat afford a lawyer unless he and the lawyer expect a big payoff from it?

As I suspected it would, the plot is getting thicker!
I'd say Mr. Sikes' trousers are currently aflame.
<http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100315/ap_on_bi_ge/us_runaway_prius
Excerpts:
"Toyota said testing found that the car's accelerator pedal had no mechanical binding or friction, and the floor mat was not interfering with or touching the pedal. A self-diagnostic system did show evidence of repeated applications of the accelerator and brake pedals, Toyota said.
"The data from the diagnostics test indicated that the accelerator and the brake had been rapidly pressed, alternately back and forth, 250 times," Mike Michels, vice president of corporate communications for Toyota Motor Sales USA, told a press conference.
"Regulators said in a statement that Sikes' Prius was equipped with a backup safety device that reduces power to the wheels when the brakes and gas are pressed at the same time. "The system on Mr. Sikes' Prius worked during our engineers' test drive," the statement said.
"It does not appear to be feasibly possible, both electronically and mechanically that his gas pedal was stuck to the floor and he was slamming on the brake at the same time," said a memo prepared for Congress that cited a Toyota official."
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

and they did a demo in the qualcomm stadium parking lot showing you can hit the power button, the engine will turn off, and while you lose power steering you can still steer.
I have not heard that they demonstrated what happens if you put the car in neutral at speed, with the accelerator locked down, and I suppose it might not be pretty. But I hadn't realized, the Prius shift is a cute little knob on the dash, seriously easy to flip into neutral, if you are so inclined.
not that any of this matters, since no doubt this guy had his foot on the gas the whole time and never "stood on the brakes" as he insisted he did.
J.

The engine will rev to its programmed limit (just about at redline), then stay there until the ignition is shut off or the gas pedal is released; it will NOT be damaged.
No Toyota since maybe the mid-'80s has been capable of overrevving to the point of throwing a rod through the block.
--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ

Not on a Prius. On a Prius, the gas engine just stops, just like it does when you're cruising down Main St. at 35 and lift your foot because you see a red light down the way.

I can tell you what happens: the car slows down.
You can mash your foot to the floor, be doing 80mph, and put the car in neutral--and nothing happens other than the drive system disengages and the gas engine stops running.
In the meantime, your foot is still mashed onto the floor, imitating an errant floor mat.
I know this because I did it last week.
Why would you think that "it might not be pretty"? What did you expect would happen?
Do this in a BMW, and the car similarly starts slowing down because, just like in the Prius, the drive system is disengaged.
Sure, the BMW engine will start screaming and bouncing off the rev limiter, but it won't be damaged. All you'll experience is a lot of noise--but you'll be in control of the car.
What did you think would happen?
On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 07:39:09 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"

On an '87 Accord it hit redline and then died. No damage was done. I don't actually know why it died. Car restarted and was fine.
J.

That would explain the smell of braking the highway trooper noted.
On 03/15/10 15:24, Cameo wrote:

True, plus his attorney gets millions of $$$ in publicity for arguing the case.

Cop said he could see the brakes smoking. Same said brakes were later shown to have wear within the normal range for a car with the miles on that one.
Cop (or someone) said that the driver was told to use his "emergency brake". Errh, what's that? The "parking brake", which I prefer to call the hand brake? The one which is nothing more than a mechanical connection to the brakes which were reported to be burning out?

Toyota and the Feds both report that there were a couple of hundred small applications of the brakes and multiple applications of the throttle, from the pedal. One must wonder.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

You know, I can't think of nothing finer than a fine
On 03/28/2010 07:40 PM, Dillon Pyron wrote:

it's not operated by hand on the prius - it's operated by foot. just like many domestics. and once applied, it's stays on. i wouldn't want to lock up my rear wheels if i couldn't release them again and maintain directional control.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum

wrote in message

SoCal freeways have times during the day and on weekends where traffic is flowing quite freely, and 75 MPH can actually put you in the slow lane.