more prius questions

True, plus his attorney gets millions of $$$ in publicity for arguing the case.

Reply to
Tony Harding

I can tell you what happens: the car slows down.

You can mash your foot to the floor, be doing 80mph, and put the car in neutral--and nothing happens other than the drive system disengages and the gas engine stops running.

In the meantime, your foot is still mashed onto the floor, imitating an errant floor mat.

I know this because I did it last week.

Why would you think that "it might not be pretty"? What did you expect would happen?

Do this in a BMW, and the car similarly starts slowing down because, just like in the Prius, the drive system is disengaged.

Sure, the BMW engine will start screaming and bouncing off the rev limiter, but it won't be damaged. All you'll experience is a lot of noise--but you'll be in control of the car.

What did you think would happen?

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Not on a Prius. On a Prius, the gas engine just stops, just like it does when you're cruising down Main St. at 35 and lift your foot because you see a red light down the way.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty

Is there enough data available to reconstruct various failures? My sense is that there isn't, thus the suggestion for an aircraft style block box.

Your cell phone will do, thanks. :)

No such thing (or are you speaking hyperbolically?)

Reply to
Tony Harding

no, prophetically. it's possible to do this now - the only question is whether the second amendment will be revoked before it's implemented.

Reply to
jim beam

On an '87 Accord it hit redline and then died. No damage was done. I don't actually know why it died. Car restarted and was fine.

J.

Reply to
JRStern

"Prophetically"? I don't think that word means what you think it means. :)

IIRC it still takes 3/4 of the states to ratify a new amendment and make it part of the Constitution - repeal/revoke the 2nd? Not in my lifetime or yours - time better spent worrying about being hit by lightning or attacked by a great white shark.

Reply to
Tony Harding

Tony Harding wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news1.newsguy.com:

the path for negating the Second Amendment is thru the UN's Small Arms Treaty; once the treaty is signed and ratified accepting UN Gun Control,our RKBA will be taken away. Obama has said he will "work with the UN" on the Small Arms Treaty. Obama is anti-gun.(Per his established voting record)

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Noticing a lot of black helicopters these days?

I stand by my original post.

Reply to
Tony Harding

Tony Harding wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news2.newsguy.com:

right out of Alinsky's Rules for Radicals.

you stand blind. "it'll never happen"... we're seeing stuff right now that people thought would never happen in the US.

Reply to
Jim Yanik

Thus spake Tegger :

Cop said he could see the brakes smoking. Same said brakes were later shown to have wear within the normal range for a car with the miles on that one.

Cop (or someone) said that the driver was told to use his "emergency brake". Errh, what's that? The "parking brake", which I prefer to call the hand brake? The one which is nothing more than a mechanical connection to the brakes which were reported to be burning out?

Toyota and the Feds both report that there were a couple of hundred small applications of the brakes and multiple applications of the throttle, from the pedal. One must wonder.

Reply to
Dillon Pyron

it's not operated by hand on the prius - it's operated by foot. just like many domestics. and once applied, it's stays on. i wouldn't want to lock up my rear wheels if i couldn't release them again and maintain directional control.

Reply to
jim beam

Who?

Well, that's true enough.

Reply to
Tony Harding

Tony Harding wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news7.newsguy.com:

Man,WHERE have you been? Are you a hobbit? HOW could you have not heard about Saul Alinsky or his Rules for Radicals? (Obama's a celebrated disciple of Alinsky.) DAGS.

Wake UP.

Reply to
Jim Yanik