My 1988 Honda Civic Will Not Crank , Please I need HELP

I bought a1988 honda civic and the one I bought it from said it needed a distributor.I bought a new one and put it in .Still it will not crank.I put another main relay and wire harness on it it still will not crank.It turns till the battery goes dead,but it acts like its not getting no fire somewhere.Does anyone know what might be the problem.I dont know what else to check.PLEASE HELP IF YOU CAN. Thanks

Reply to
bassgirl27288

"bassgirl27288" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com:

First, put away the shotgun. The spray-and-pray approach is very expensive and normally ineffective.

If it acts like it's "getting no fire", then logically you'd want to check if there is even any "fire" at all before doing anything else.

Start with the basics and work down from there. It's not, as they say, rocket science.

TeGGeR®

"bassgirl27288" wrote

For the record:

How many miles are on the car?

Did you replace just the distributor housing? Or the distributor housing along with everything inside it (notably, the igniter and ignition coil)? Did you use genuine Honda ( = OEM parts)?

A few caveats to assist you getting help: The terminology you want to use is that it won't fire. The car's starter motor is able to "turn over" the crankshaft, so we can pretty much eliminate the alternator, battery and starter motor at this point.

Running the battery down until its dead will reduce its life, even if recharged. Also, using the car's alternator to re-charge the battery will reduce the alternator's life. Try not to try starting the car too much in the coming days.

The site to which Tegger sent you is based on much input here and much hands on experience. I recommend heeding its advice, for the greater part. I would pay special attention to checking for spark at this point, following closely the precautions about doing so. You don't want to burn out the distributor's ignition coil in the process.

A complete tuneup (plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, air filter, fuel filter, add a bottle of Chevron Techron injector cleaner to near empty fuel tank and fill with gas) using OEM parts is strongly recommended for used cars whose history is not known.

Drain and fill coolant system with new Honda-make coolant or Havoline Dexcool, too.

Reply to
Elle

The first step would be a complete tune up. In the future, don't buy a car unless you can take it for a test ride and make sure the engine and related parts are working correctly. There may be some serious engine problems so any money you invest in tune-up related parts might be wasted if you end up junking the car. On the other hand, if you end up replacing the engine, you could use some of the tune-up related items such as spark plugs in the working engine. Jason

Reply to
Jason

jason, i swear i'm not picking on you guy, but why on earth would you toss out stuff like "if you end up replacing the engine"??? it's a no-start condition. that means diagnose & repair. it does /not/ mean wild-ass guesses of fear like "if you end up replacing the engine". if you don't know how to do simple diagnosis yourself, buy the helm manual and simply follow the flow charts. [and "first step would be a complete tune up" is an utter waste of money if you don't know what the problem is.]

how old are you by the way? you might want to sign up for an evening class in basic auto repair. it'll feed your need for knowledge and save you a bunch of money if you have the desire to do your car maintenance yourself.

Reply to
jim beam

what he said.

Reply to
jim beam

"jim beam" wrote

Jason is right. You have to run the engine before you buy. Short story: A guy buys a car that recently ran out of oil and engine knocks or is seizing. Buyer doesn't know but seller knows the whole deal. Seller pulls the ignition wires and tries sell "as is." Buyer gets a trashed engine. Court in favor of seller since a document "AS IS" was signed.

Reply to
Burt

A too-common con.

Mike

Reply to
Michael Pardee

Undoughtfuly,no one on this sight knows anything about car motors.I ask a simple question and everyones is trying to out talk the other ones,about everything except what I asked.I am a woman and I know more than the replys I got on this simple question.

Reply to
bassgirl27288

Please repost the problem. We need the details. For example, what sort of sounds did you hear when you tried try to start the car. I know about a dozen different reasons why a car will not start but we need the details to know which of the dozen reasons apply to your car. examples: Dead battery out of gasoline starter motor faulty starter solenoid faulty ignition switch faulty various fuel related problems eg injectors/filter/fuel pump broken or stripped timing belt Jason

Reply to
Jason