My beloved Civic is no more

Last Wednesday my 98 Civic DX Hatchback got plowed into by a couple of yahoos in a pickup truck. Luckily no one was hurt but the car has been declared a total loss. As I wait for the adjustor to call me and bend me over what would you guess is a fair market value for the car. I'm not looking to make a fortune off it but I would like a decent down payment for my next car.

Here's the details

98 Civic DX Hatchback. sunroof cd changer 44000 miles. That's right under 50,000 miles. We bought it in 2002 with 19,000 mile on it. I had hoped to give the car to my son in about 9 more years. I figured I'd have 2-300 thousand miles on it by then.

I have been doing my homework and Kelly and NADA come in at around 5600 and

6000 respectively which seems awfully low when I see 98's in the paper with 120000 miles on them for sale at 6000. My gut says 7500-8000 would be a fair value. What do you all think? I'll let you know what kind of laughable offer I get from the adjustor.

Thanks, Paul

Reply to
Ralthor

Unless the offer is completely acceptable to you don't accept it right off Tell you would like a day or so to think about it. Also they should prorate your tabs and pay you sales tax on the amount they decide to pay for your car.

Also just because they offer you an amount doesn't mean you can't dispute it or explain how it was in such great condition you deserve a little more than that...etc.

Reply to
halo2 guy

I have a 98 Civic EX coupe with about the same miles as yours, and I doubt very much that I could sell it for more than $6000.

Reply to
richard48

Many insurance carriers use a system that is much like getting an appraisal for real estate. They obtain recent sales of your car, making some allowances for being a year off, or being a different trim level and pay you based on the average of those sales. They only use franchised new car dealers for their data....none of the hokey used car sharks are even considered. They do pay sales tax and the unused portion of the registration. My daughter's 98 Saturn was totalled exactly a year ago. Street value was in the $5000+ range....I was paid almost $7600 after the $500 deductible was subtracted. Go to

and research values there as well....they are supposedly more in line than KBB. If a sunroof and cd are the only options on the car, then something in the $6k range less your deductible sounds appropriate. What people advertise for and actually receive are 2 different things. If you disagree with the adjustor, you need to provide actual evidence to support your reasoning for an increased valuation.....emotionally based values won't cut it. As a last resort, ask the adjustor to find another 98 DX on a dealer's lot as a replacement as validation of its value. I do wish you a good experience with your insurance carrier.

"Ralthor" wrote in message news:1115044429.c7bbdc73f5f7620ac83e867bd0a695aa@teranews...

Reply to
Larry